Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1986 Corvette convertible top question

tjvpga

Corvette
1994 C4 torch red
We just got our 1986 convertible. It seems like it takes 2 people to put the top down. When I release the deck pins and push the button to release the deck, the weight of the lose top sitting on the deck keeps it from unlocking. Someone needs to lift the bottom part of the top off the deck with one hand and as the button is pressed to release the deck lid, lift that with the other. The button is in the center console. Does something need to be adjusted so the deck lid pops up and clears the latch it sits in? Is there a trick I'm missing? I had a 1994 and didn't have this problem. However the release button was under the deck lit. Any help would be appreciated.

Putting the top down.

1 unlock the front of the top from the windshield frame
2 Use the lever under the deck - release the back of the top
3 Lift the back of the top up so it's self supporting.
4 Press the button in the console, release the deck and lift it up.
5 Put the pillow into the fold of the back window
6 Lift the front of the top off the window frame, work the back into the back under the deck lid and follow with folding the top in
7 Close the deck lid - you're done
8 That's it - you're welcome. I raise and lower mine by myself all the time, two people might be nice but I do it with one.

1 unlock the front of the top from the windshield frame
2 Use the lever under the deck - release the back of the top
3 Lift the back of the top up so it's self supporting.
4 Press the button in the console, release the deck and lift it up.
5 Put the pillow into the fold of the back window
6 Lift the front of the top off the window frame, work the back into the back under the deck lid and follow with folding the top in
7 Close the deck lid - you're done
8 That's it - you're welcome. I raise and lower mine by myself all the time, two people might be nice but I do it with one.

#3 is the problem. The back of the top does not stay up without it being held. Is it supposed to stand by itself? Thank you for your response!

#3 is the problem. The back of the top does not stay up without it being held. Is it supposed to stand by itself? Thank you for your response!

Lift it up enough so it does while you're lifting the deck. You just need it up to lift the deck, then be able to slip it into the storage area.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom