Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1987 Fuel Gauge

First thing I'd do is to check fuel pressure. Why? If the pump is weak, you might as well replace it while you are there. After which, I'd take the pump out and see whether the level changes when you move the arm or not. It could be stuck there in the "full" position. If the pump is weak, get the Racetronix kit and do it all at once and replace the fuel level sender while you are there. If not, you still need to take the gasket out to get to it. Good news is you don't have to drop the tank or even empty it.

fuel filler gasket

Getting a new gasket you will pay a very good price from Chevrolet parts. Still do not understand why GM raised the price so high. First one I bought was reasonable in the 90's. I even wrote GM a letter asking why such a high price for a simple thin gasket. Another item, the fuel tank bolts that retain the filler neck are only tightened with light inch pounds. Don't have the information available with me now on how many inch pounds.

fuel filler bolt torque

Looked up the torque, it is 40 inch pounds for the fuel filler bolts. The fue lines connecting to the fuel flller were not an easy removal. These fuel lines would be expensive to replace.

Last edited:
Looked up the torque, it is 40 inch pounds for the fuel filler bolts. The fue lines connecting to the fuel flller were not an easy removal. These fuel lines would be expensive to replace.

Correct. I wouldn't replace unless absolutely necessary. It is the fuel dampner above the pump that leaks and should be replaced with fuel rated hose.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom