Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1987 wont shift till redline

reckless_julies

Corvette
1987 Silver Coupe, 1984 Blue Coupe
My 1987 wont shift until almost redlining it has a hard time shifting from 1st to 2nd then it does okay after that. Could it be a the transmission or just a vacuum line?? Since it still is shifting I have a feeling its just a vacuum line but I have no clue where to look.... Btw I hit a piece of tire on the highway a few days ago then it started doing this.

There are no vacuum lines that have anything to do with the transmission shifting. Shift points are controlled by the TV (Throttle Valve) cable and governor. Based on your description, I would probably make sure whatever you ran over on the road didn't fly up and dent the governor cover or knock the TV cable out of whack.

The governor is underneath the small round pressed-in cover on the drivers side rear of the transmission (black cover). TV cable goes into the top side of the valve body on the other side of the transmission, other end connects to the throttle body linkage.

700r47.jpg

transmission_package.jpg

There are no vacuum lines that have anything to do with the transmission shifting. Shift points are controlled by the TV (Throttle Valve) cable and governor. Based on your description, I would probably make sure whatever you ran over on the road didn't fly up and dent the governor cover or knock the TV cable out of whack.

The governor is underneath the small round pressed-in cover on the drivers side rear of the transmission (black cover). TV cable goes into the top side of the valve body on the other side of the transmission, other end connects to the throttle body linkage.

View attachment 20118

View attachment 20119

like he stated look for any damages, if no apparent damages are seen you can try to readjust your Detent cable (small cable that comes from behind plenum tubes) press the steel tab in the center of the adjuster and collapse the sleeve on the detent cable. remove the drivers side floor mat (for extra adjustment clearance)with MOTOR OFF NOT RUNNING press throttle wide open to floor.

now take the car for a ride see if it works correctly, if not with motor OFF grab throttle plate linkage by hand go to a wide open to the stop. re road test. if still not right take a pair of needle nose pliers and carefully wear adjuster meets adjuster sleeve grab and try to wiggle 1 more click. retest and if not right take to a trans shop.

odds are its nothing big but should be looked at for a sticky Governor or valve body unless you want to try to unstick it.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom