Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1988 High Flow Cats

Corvette
1989 Callaway Twin Turbo Aerobody Coupe
I just picked up a set of brand new Callaway 1988 not epa approved Catalytic converetors that were recalled.I believe they were said to allow 420 hp before they were recalled and replaced with approved cats.

I just reinstalled mine a couple of months ago. It was a noticable increase in power. I was one of the few that did not return them after the recall due to the power loss. Photo to show the difference between the two.

My current set up looks like the ones on the left. I assume this is the original setup.

Did you have to modify your car any to go back to the original cats? I do not want a "simple" change to turn into a major ordeal. Also, What do the 2 pipes comes off you original set connect to?

Thanks,
George

George the ones on the left should be the high flow setup!

Nice, mine are the ones on the left. So these are the ones that were recalled due to the EPA? Thanks for the information.

Regards,
George

Well I know the ones that came off my car looked like the ones on the right.

What production number is your car? My old car is #48 which would have been too late in production to get the high flow cats I believe.

What production number is your car? My old car is #48 which would have been too late in production to get the high flow cats I believe.

Josh, That is not correct. My car is #58. It was built with the high flow German converters. They recalled the converters over a year later. I thought all 88's had the recall.

Interesting! I thought it was only the early production cars. So was I correct about the high flow ones being on the left?

My car is # 92.

George

Josh, That is not correct. My car is #58. It was built with the high flow German converters. They recalled the converters over a year later. I thought all 88's had the recall.

when Josh had the wrong converters on his car the owner at that time did not answerred the recall perhaps ??

when Josh had the wrong converters on his car the owner at that time did not answerred the recall perhaps ??

I actually had the correct ones on my car....before I sawed them off :D :D I thought that only the early cars had the illegal converters. My car was almost right in the middle of the production run.

He had the right converters on his car. The owner had the recall performed. They changed the German converters for the factory GM converters which were more restrictive.

What converters

I actually had the correct ones on my car....before I sawed them off :D :D I thought that only the early cars had the illegal converters. My car was almost right in the middle of the production run.

I removed my converters last week and the first time I hit second gear:bu I shattered my rear spring:bash. Good thing I didnt damage anything else. I didnt have a chance to replace before the show this weekend and it wasnt noticed by the judges (car sits too low and we were on grass):naughty:.

I just picked up a set of brand new Callaway 1988 not epa approved Catalytic converetors that were recalled.I believe they were said to allow 420 hp before they were recalled and replaced with approved cats.

Beg to differ a tad. They came with a complete exhaust system. EPA ordered recall due to lack of certification. Reeves got smacked with a stiff EPA fine for the units which were not returned and ended up losing $ on the deal big time. Story is per Reeves @ Callaways at Carlisle circa 1998. I took my IMSA GTO TT there the first year i had it. He told the story after a question.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom