Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1988 vert - hard top - install

JohnyH

Corvette
1988 red Roadster
I have the piece to fit on the top of the windshield and I know I have to swap out the rear deck latches for the ones with a welded nut installed.
The problem now is the b-pillar brackets that GM made to retrofit for a 1988 vert, since the hardtop only came out in 89. I'm trying to locate a pair of brackets or get a picture or any information how it was supposed to be done!

Thanks for any help! :beer

John

Hardtop retro fit

John, I just did this myself with my 87. There are 4 brackets required. 2 that mount the hardtop to the car and 2 that will replace the existing soft top mounting brackets. Its not difficult to replace these and you don't have to remove the soft top from the car. I was able to obtain the brackets from Just Corvettes. You should be able to find them on the web.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Hi Chris, Is it possible to send a picture of the brackets that you atached to the B-pillar were the soft top is attached?

I have contacted Just Corvettes and talked to Dan On Saturday morning he has no brackets left and he thinks in another month or so he will have some made.

I have a set for the 89 to 96 but they will never work!

John

John,

I will try to get a picture for you.... There should be brackets on your car that the soft top bows mount to and in turn are bolted to the B pillar. Mine were black in color. The bracket mounting bolts (3) are somewhat hidden by trim and carpet so it appears as though the bracket is part of the pillar structure. This bracket will be replaced by the new one that has the captured nuts to receive the hardtop bracket and the mounting points for the two soft top bows. You said you have some brackets, what do they look like?

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I have a picture of the bracket at home which I can send later tonight. I really was looking at this the wrong way and will have to take a better look at my car tonight! Thanks for all the help so far!!!!

:beer

John

Hardtop B-pillar

IMG_0064-2.jpg

This is the bracket that I recieved!

John

Okay. This is the bracket that connects the hardtop to the car. This will bolt to the replacement bracket that supports the soft top and is bolted to the B pillar. These were standard equipment on the later cars so you should be able to locate a set from a recycler.

Here's what I did to R&R the bracket with top folded down:
1) Remove any trim and carpeting from the area around the bracket
2) Measure and record the height between the bottom bow attach point bolt and the body.
3) Note the location of bolts relative to the slotted area on the bracket.
4) Remove the 2 bolts attaching the bows to the bracket.
5) Remove the 3 bolts attaching the bracket to the B pillar.
6) Install new bracket in the same position as the old one using your measurement and relative positioning observations.
7) Reverse the process for re-assembly.

Chris

I'm lost again, do you mean that there is another bracket that I need to replace on my 88? Do I need to replace the bracket that is holding my soft top on now with another bracket that the one shown in the picture would bolt to?

Sorry, I have been at this for a few weeks and it just dosen't add up yet! Should have bought an 89 vert, just kidding!

John

SO I think the bracket I have pictured above is supposed to fit on my 1988! When I remove the brackets that are holding my soft top on now, bolt this one in, then I'm supposed to use the newer type of soft top brackets to reinstall my soft top back on to my car.

Does this seem right? Am I getting there?

John

John,

You are getting there! I know it's a bit confusing. The brackets you have pictured WILL fit your car. They slide up into the hardtop on each side and ultimately bolt to the brackets that support the soft top. The difference is that you need the later style brackets that support the soft top. They have the necessary provisions to accept the hardtop brackets. The bracket that is in your car now does not have these provisions.

You'll need to locate these later style soft top brackets from a used parts supplier.

Chris

Thankyou very much for all the help, I really appreciate it!!!! :beer
Now more brackets to locate!

John

Bracket F/TOP PIV – RH 86 -89 14092636
Bracket F/TOP PIV – RH 89 -91 10123006
Bracket F/TOP PIV – LH 86 -89 14092635
Bracket F/TOP PIV – LH 89 -91 10123005

My books only cover up to 91 since I have an 88 I didn’t try for anything older, in after thought I should have bought a set that covers to 96!

Are these the newer part numbers that you wrote about?

John :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom