Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1989 A/C BRACKET REMOVAL

EOLIVER

Corvette
1989 DARK BLU METALIC SIX SPEED CONV
I'm in the process of replacing a bad waer pump and I was looking for advice on freeing the A/C bracket. I've removed all of the bolts I can see, are there any hidden ones that i'm just not seeing? This bracket is different from tmy old 1987 coupe.

Remove the following.
Strap holding the AC drier/accumulator.
Four bolts holding the compressor to the bracket
Support brace from back of compressor to exhaust manifold.
Support brace from bottom front of compressor bracket to stud on water pump.
Move compressor and tie it to wheel well.
Two bolts on front of cylinder head.
Nut on the water pump, below the one you removed to remove the front bottom brace.
Good luck but you need to find a way to remove the diverter solenoid to give you slack to pull it's mounting brace hole off of one of the water pump studs.

The AC bracket should come right off. Leave the tensioner pulley on it.
Be gentle with the bracket when you reinstall it. Make sure it's butted against the head and have the proper nuts on the water pump studs before you tighten those two mounting bolts or you can crack the bracket.

What ecss said!

That's a pretty complete description. I was able to do this job without removing the compressor from the bracket a couple of months ago. But there were several smaller bolts down underneath that were a pain to get to. May have been easier to do it like ecss said.

there is a bolt almost behind the bottom of the ac compressor pulley its so close the bolt head is flat on one side just to clear the pulley

there is also two 15mm fuel line bolts - and fuel and air pipe must be removed . Also a 15 mm bolt that hols on the air diverter valve that is under where the Throttle body was

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom