Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1989 Corvette Warm Start Issue

cubfan914

Corvette
1989 Corvette
I purchased a 1989 Corvette four weeks ago. It runs great, but has one issue. After driving the vehicle for ten minutes or more, I can not restart it. The starter turns over, but the engine gives no sign of wanting to start.

I had it in for an oil change this weekend. After the normal two or three starts during the course of an oil change, the car would not start until they used some starter fluid.

Any suggestions for a first time Corvette owner?

Thank you.

Try this:

Problem:
When it is cold, the engine consistently starts and runs reliably. After the engine comes up to operating temperature, when it is shut off, it will not start; it cranks but will not run.

Diagnostic Tests:
Following diagnostic chart A3 in the FSM
• No codes are present
• Good spark is present on all cylinders
• When the engine is cold, a noid light blinks reliably on cylinder 1; when the engine is hot, it will not blink
• When the engine is cold, a noid light blinks reliably on cylinder 2; when the engine is hot, it will not blink
• When the engine is hot, disconnecting the cylinder 2 injector will allow the engine to start; reconnecting it while the engine is running will cause the engine to stop running

Injector Resistance:
Cylinder Cold Engine Hot Engine
1. 16.7 17.3
2. 6.4 0.7
3. 12.6 8.9
4. 16.1 15.1
5. 16.8 17.6
6. 15.5 12.2
7. 15.6 12.1
8. 16.1 16.9

Conclusion:
Injector #2 shorts out completely when it is hot.
Time for a set of replacement injectors.

Thank you Chevylu. I will take a look at that with my very limited skills. Gotta learn some how I guess.

I had a problem with my '89 not starting similar to your no start. I started the car and went to pay a bill, was in there about 5 mins. I came out and it wouldn't start, it turned over fine. I tried pumping the gas pedal and it seemed like it was trying, but only sputtered a little. After a few minutes of doing that, I thought maybe I flooded the engine. I floored the gas pedal and held it there hoping to clear the flooding while cranking. Nothing seemed to work and I had no tools or anything with me at the time to check anything. After letting it sit for awhile, something like 15 minutes or so I tried again to no avail. I called a tow truck and had it towed to a trusted shop. When we off loaded it at the shop, I tried starting it again. It started right up and ran ok then. I then drove into a service bay there and the mechanic checked the car out and determined it was my injectors. One of the injectors had very little resistance and some of the others were also low. They wanted a lot of money to replace them and I couldn't afford to have them do it. I came back the next day and it started right up and I drove it home with no problems. I couldn,t beleive it would not start at one time then start several times after that. I checked the injectors for resistance after I got it home. I saw that a couple injectors were very low in resistance. Why would it not start and then start several times later? I did some research on the injectors and found out that if an injector is bad it will shut down the entire system as the ECM sees a short. The '89's use Multitech injectors and they are junk. I called Jon Banner at Fuel Injection Connection and got a set of Bosch Gen III's. I installed them and a new intake gasket as it was leaking coolant by the #3 injector. After putting everything together it started right up and ran better than it had ever run in the past. I was amazed at how well it ran. Multitechs were only used on the '89 and are junk. Jon Banner would take the old injectors and give you some credit for them, except for the Mulitechs. He doesn't take them and told me to throw them out. Jon was great to deal with and gave me some excellent information on injectors. I would suggest, if you have an injector below the resistance it should have, you change them over to the Bosch's and you will be as surprised as I was at the performance they give you. No more problems starting!!! I changed them out myself and saved a bunch of money. Its a difficult job pulling them out, but can be done if you have any mechanical skills. Replacing them is a snap after you get the old ones out. If you need some help or more info in doing it yourself, you can give me a call and I can walk you thru it. This will fix your problem and give you more performance than you ever had before. Please feel free to call me anytime in the evening. Bill.....386-956-7046...hope this helps you out. This is a great forum and lots of help here.

Multitechs were only used on the '89 and are junk. .

Just a added note multec 1's were used from 89-91. What original ones out there unless fed non ethanol fuel their whole life are going to be on the way out.

JP1....thought the '89s were the only year Multitechs were used.....I could be wrong tho...yes the ethenol gas ruins them.....I think the coils in them are in the fuel stream and the ethenol eats away at the insulation shorting them out....a heavey dose of fuel cleaner will do it too.....the Bosch units are way better and the way to go....Bill

JP1....thought the '89s were the only year Multitechs were used.....I could be wrong tho...yes the ethenol gas ruins them.....I think the coils in them are in the fuel stream and the ethenol eats away at the insulation shorting them out....a heavey dose of fuel cleaner will do it too.....the Bosch units are way better and the way to go....Bill

Nope, 85-87 bosch 88 lucas injector, 89-91 multec 1 injectors. 92 went to the good multec 2's. Yes multec 1's have the coils open in the fuel stream.

JP1.....thanks for setting me straight on the Multitechs.....mine have been replaced with the Bosch Gen III's and what a difference they made.....I was also told to pull the vacuum hose from the regulator and block it off to allow more pressure to them.....I saw the bulletin on using fuel cleaner with the Multitechs tonight.....wish I knew that before. Guess I was right about the coil in the fuel stream found that out the hard way using heavy duty fuel cleaner in it before, caused them to fail real quick.....thanks again.....Bill

JP1.....thanks for setting me straight on the Multitechs.....mine have been replaced with the Bosch Gen III's and what a difference they made.....I was also told to pull the vacuum hose from the regulator and block it off to allow more pressure to them.....I saw the bulletin on using fuel cleaner with the Multitechs tonight.....wish I knew that before. Guess I was right about the coil in the fuel stream found that out the hard way using heavy duty fuel cleaner in it before, caused them to fail real quick.....thanks again.....Bill

They were a good idea back then that went real bad and most that still have them functional have never seen the bulletin. We can thank the corvette action center for publishing this information. :thumb

This is a similar problem in most "old skool" injextors

The 90-96 300ZX ( NA & TT's ) have the exact same issues...
I think with the fuel changes... you have to think of injectors as sparkplugs...
Expendable parts change out for major service...

my .02

Mike

Gotta' second the injectors; leaking injectors don't 'spray' well. Cold motor however, or Cold Air Induction, you get better vaporization.

Hot motor, you need vaporization 'help', from ... STARTING FLUID ;)

ed.:
Holy COW vig - this thread is a year old! ;LOL

Attachments

• -birthday-cake-clipart-7.gif
    -birthday-cake-clipart-7.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom