Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1989 Valve Covers

L

larry n

I am going to remove my valve covers from my 1989 to repaint them. Are there any tricks to this procedure that I should know about prior to beginning? I don't want to do something stupid, like the first time I removed my battery by taking the entire engine compartment apart instead of folding the side panel down!!!
Thanks,
Larry

Larry,corvette fever or vette had a article on painting the valve covers.I dont remeber which issue.They painted them on the car.I painted my 88s on the car.Just a little masking and newspapers to cover the engine.The small areas i could not reach with spray i sprayed paint into a paper cup and used a artist brush.My gaskets were in good shape, did no want to pull the covers. They came out real nice,surprised me.CHUCK

Larry, I painted the covers on my '85. You could do it on the car, but I chose to take them off because I wanted to make sure I coated everything evenly & I'm a perfectionist:) I didn't run into any problems on the '85. I believe you have to loosen the alternator though.....can't remember, it was qiute some time ago:) Hope this helps......and post some pic's after you paint them

Jay

Might want to replace the rubber grommets around the PVC valve and the breather hose. This will help keep them nice once done.

where to get rubber grommets

Where can you get the rubber grommets? I have an 84 and would like to do mine.

Re: where to get rubber grommets

Skip84 said:
Where can you get the rubber grommets? I have an 84 and would like to do mine.

I think you can get the grommets from any local auto store. I don't believe they are special order items.

Jay

I've been planning on painting the valve covers on my '89 corvette as well but I was looking for information on removing them. (I'm not much of a mechanic...)

However, now that I hear that people have done a good job of painting them without removing them - I think I'll give that a try.

One question, though:

The C4 emblem on the driver side valve cover...does it have adhesive of any sort on it, or can it be removed with a small screwdriver?

Thanks!

I just masked mine and trimed it with a small razor knife. Chuck

sleepyhead said:
I've been planning on painting the valve covers on my '89 corvette as well but I was looking for information on removing them. (I'm not much of a mechanic...)

However, now that I hear that people have done a good job of painting them without removing them - I think I'll give that a try.

One question, though:

The C4 emblem on the driver side valve cover...does it have adhesive of any sort on it, or can it be removed with a small screwdriver?

Thanks!

While I had my valve cover off at the time, I carefully removed the emblem with a razor blade. It has a thick rubber sticky pad that holds it on. I replaced it with a silicone. Not knowing this at the time, I also ordered a new one. Guess I will keep that as a spare.

hello all
thanks for all of the responses
here is what i finally did
Corvette Fever did have an article that was very helpful. i e-mailed them for the date and they responded with in a two day period. the article is found in the May 2000 mag. the valve covers were impossible to get off of my 89 with out removing the air condition, did not want to do that!! so i masked everything and painted them on the car. i washed the grommets in thinner and put armor all on them and they look brand new i used a model brush to get to places that the spray would not reach, and had to remove a little overspray but it was a job worth doing. just take your time and it can look wonderful. my emblem came loose two years ago and i used hi temp silicon to put it back on. i masked around the emblem to paint the valve covers then painted it with the brush and valve cover paint if you don't look real close it looks like the factory emblem. i was going to buy a new one but they are priced a little high
thanks again for all of the help
Larry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom