Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1989 will not start, just replaced starter a week ago.

1989 406

Corvette
1989 406
Car would turn a bit and the starter sounded like it would grab a little but did not. Replaced with GM reman starter. Car was good for probably 5-10 starts with replacement. I start it up yesterday take it to get gas, turn off, got to start after getting gas and exact same problem as before I changed the first aftermarket starter. Starter engages briefly but not enough to turn car over. Battery eventually dies from trying too much.
What else could I look for assuming the reman GM starter is okay? Car has a pretty good stereo and alarm system, but I do not know if that has any bearing on it. PO had similar issued but said he had them worked out before he sold it to me by changing the starter. For the first few months I had no problem with it. Could something be killing the starter? Please keep in mind this is not a stock engine. It is modified.

I would appreciate any input.

Thank you.

Check the battery posts. One of them could be bad in the battery. Check the condition of the cables from the battery to the starter. Finally don't assume that the starter is not your problem. I went through 5 alternators one day all of them reman's before I found one that was not bad from a parts house locally. The ground wire from the battery runs over to a post on the bell housing with several other ground wires. check to be sure that those grounds are clean and tight. Also since this is a non stock motor could it be that the replacement starter was for an L98 engine and you need to get a heavy duty starter for the 409 engine. If this moded engine has higher compression then stock then I can see the starter being over stressed to turn it over and so it would over heat in just daily usage and fail prematurely.

Referring to Cold Start??

All good advice. Does jump starting help? (ensure you do that right and carefully).

Ensure you have sufficient grounding straps to the engine. I use two, HD braided straps. Remember that electricity is a full circuit, not just the (+) side.

Check the battery itself for having and maintaining a full charge (13.2vdc). I'd also check the cranking voltage for excessive drop, like below 10 (??). I had recurring problems that turned out to be the series of lousy Red Top Optimas; fixed with an Interstate. As a recurring problem, I'd want to know that the alternator is okay.

You can check the electrolyte level in these 'maintenance-free' batteries. Sometimes they need some water-- I use distilled.

Was the wiring altered with the super-stereo install? Sounds to me like the PO had issues that were masked, not truly solved; maybe he got tired of it all.

Looks like there is a leak in the header causing too much heat. Going to change gasket and put on heat shield.

Looks like there is a leak in the header causing too much heat. Going to change gasket and put on heat shield.
I have a starter heat "shield", of the blanket variety that I tried. It does a great job of trapping heat on a hot starter, lengthening the cool-down time. Anyone want it?

In my experience, only ceramic coated headers should be used, for a dozen reasons, this being one of them.

All good advice. Does jump starting help? (ensure you do that right and carefully).

Ensure you have sufficient grounding straps to the engine. I use two, HD braided straps. Remember that electricity is a full circuit, not just the (+) side.

Check the battery itself for having and maintaining a full charge (13.2vdc). I'd also check the cranking voltage for excessive drop, like below 10 (??). I had recurring problems that turned out to be the series of lousy Red Top Optimas; fixed with an Interstate. As a recurring problem, I'd want to know that the alternator is okay.

You can check the electrolyte level in these 'maintenance-free' batteries. Sometimes they need some water-- I use distilled.

Was the wiring altered with the super-stereo install? Sounds to me like the PO had issues that were masked, not truly solved; maybe he got tired of it all.

HUH !

I just went thru the same sh*t with my red-top optima and was scratching my head after installing the new top-shelf "wet" battery...

The optima always started, and everything worked as it should, but it was not "bright" or strong. One day it just died. There was a reason, a wire in the FP relay that was shorted and keeping that circuit hot all night, but the Optima refused to take a charge, instead tripping the battery chargers circuit breaker.

I returned the Optima and the store confirmed that it was beyond dead...so the only immediate replacement was a common wet cell battery that was 7 yr warranty, so I took that.
First thing I notice is my flashers moving twice as fast as they used to, and everything is brighter. Volt meter now always shows 13+V when the Optima often only showed 12.0

I thought it was just me...

probably a stupid thought but did u use shims alter the engagement angle a bit

In addition to checking the grounds, if this were my car, I'd have the battery load tested. Don't let them get away with just checking the output with no load. Any good garage should have the tool to load test the battery.

Thank you. 2 week old Red Optima died on me w/o warning

All good advice. Does jump starting help? (ensure you do that right and carefully).Ensure you have sufficient grounding straps to the engine. I use two, HD braided straps. Remember that electricity is a full circuit, not just the (+) side.Check the battery itself for having and maintaining a full charge (13.2vdc). I'd also check the cranking voltage for excessive drop, like below 10 (??). I had recurring problems that turned out to be the series of lousy Red Top Optimas; fixed with an Interstate. As a recurring problem, I'd want to know that the alternator is okay.You can check the electrolyte level in these 'maintenance-free' batteries. Sometimes they need some water-- I use distilled.Was the wiring altered with the super-stereo install? Sounds to me like the PO had issues that were masked, not truly solved; maybe he got tired of it all.

went to church, afterwards tried to start 90 vette and nothing...
no power whatsoever. Not even a courtesy light.

Couldnt be my 2 week young expensive red optima i just put n right? Tried to jump the vette with our Arcadia, but nothing. Maybe it's a fuse but no they are all good. Jumpers spark off this battery, so it has some juice. Maybe power relay next to the battery or the starter or alternator shorted? I'm in the parking lot and have one more test to try, I disconnect the new battery's both terminals, and hook up the jumpers from the GMC to the vettes battery cables and voila, she starts right up. Bad new battery!?!?!?!? then I find this posting that verifies what I just saw. Thanks. Picked up a new battery and drove her home. AAA towing never showed up.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom