Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1990 fan/fuel pressure/coolant leak issues

topless82vette

Corvette
1982 convertible (not factory) stock 350cfi auto
have to do a bit of work on this 1990 for a friend. it's cooling fan/fans run continuously from time car is started any ideas on why it would be doing this. Coolant leak always a puddle by the thermostat housing but doesn't appear to be coming from the housing itself. Fuel pressure, it is currently at about 56psi. He has a adjustable regulator so where should it be set for a bone stock L-98. and what is the correct procedure for setting it?

Motor has a continuous dead miss where you can feel the engine skip. however under a load you don't feel the miss this seems to be an idle only miss. Car also idles around 1100rpm all the time. Car has new injectors/tuneup/ o2 sensors etc etc. no service engine light is coming on .... where and how do you get the ecm to flash codes on this car?

Thanks for any help.

Another issue this car has is it's left instrument cluster turn signal indicator flickers until you play with the turn signal switch. ..... any ideas on this?

on my 90 which is stocl L-98, the fuel pressure is supposed to be 42-48. i have new injectors for it(yet to beinstalled) and the box says it should be 43.5. hook up a fuell injector pressure guage to the connection on the fuel rail (under the map sensor) and turn key on. fuel pump runs for 2 seconds and should you should be able to read the pressure. back off the adjustment screw until you get the proper pressure. surprized car will start after it gets warmed up as when i installed mine (had pressure set too high), after it got hot wouldn't start.

as far as the leak goes it could be coming from the bottom of the throttle body. the coolant runs through there for the iac to work. maybe loose, either the hose or the gaskets could be leaking. you can get a new gasket set for it and it runs about $6.00.

sounds like a dirty contact or the switch is on the way out.

have to do a bit of work on this 1990 for a friend. it's cooling fan/fans run continuously from time car is started any ideas on why it would be doing this.

Each fan has a relay. If the relay is stuck in the closed position, the fan will run as long as there's power. Try replacing the relays with new ones. That's a cheap and easy thing to do and just might fix things.

I'm not a C4 guy, but it sounds like the fuel pressure is too high.
That could cause the idle to be too high and occasional misfire.

I'd start with fixing the fuel pressure and see if that helps.

The relays are probably the cause of your fan problem.

Replace the thermostat housing gasket. As they get warm and build up pressure, a very small leak could allow some fluid to trickle out. And how old are your radiator hoses?

The hesitation and miss might very well be related to the fact the car had 19lb fuel injectors put in it not long ago. I ran the numbers on them and they come up as bosch replacement for ford 302's. I ordered some ford motorsport m-9536-a302 blue top 24lb injectors so I'm thinking that will cure that issue hopefully.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom