Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1991 ZF-6 questions

Coupe de jour

Corvette
1991 Red Coupe L98
I have the foolowing questions regarding the ZF-6 speed

Where can I get parts for the ZF-6 other than the basic seals that are available at the dealer?

Since I will have the trans out for a clutch replacement, what parts/other services are worth replacing at that time?

I need a new clutch and saw that Centerforce offers either their entry level clutch or the dual friction clutch. Right now the car is stock but I will be applying power adders shortly. Can the dual friction clutch be used for reliable street driving conditions or should I stick with the entry level replacement?

Can I disconnect the 1-4 shift solenoid at the transmission or do I need to install a pigtail inline to fool the computer? I am trying to avoid fault codes. If I need the pigtail where can I get one?

Thanks

C5D,

Thank you VERY much. Ive already ordered the CAGS plug and checked out KDS.

Sounds like you have had a lot of experience with the ZF. Yes mine is quite noisy although it quiets down in 4th gear on up.

I assume from your info on the clutch that I will be required to convert over to the single mass flywheel if I use the dual friction clutch. Can I retain the dual mass flywheel if I use the entry level centerforce clutch?

I looked on the KDS website for the parts required to service the return to center (RTC) spring action and could not find them. Can I get those at the dealer?

Thanks again,
Coupe de jour

I would also replace the ball pivot for the fork. They tend to get a groove in them.Make sure that the ball pivot you get is the same as yours. I have read that other sizes are available that are very close looking to the Vette's. To avoid any mixup just set them side by side and compare before installation.

I'll research the DM flywheel with Centerforce and post the results when I find something out. Thanks fo the tip on the pivot ball too.

CdJ

Guys,

I've always wondered...

How much HP and torque can the ZF6 handle without breaking?

I had to replace the reverse light switch at 50k miles - easy when it's out of the car. You can just unplug the cags, there's no code thrown. The plug just keeps the conn. ends clean. 1 to 4 dash light still come on, you ignore it after a while.

Well, I sent an email of to Centerforce asking them about the compatibility of their clutches with the dual mass flywheel. Rick Mard from Centerforce replied saying:

P/Ns CF361000 & DF000100 are compatible with the OE styled dual mass flywheel (DMF.) The DF000100 can be used in a daily driven application. We suggest that the DF part number be used if you have modifications to the engine for increased power. Otherwise, the CF part number is sufficient.

DF is the dual friction clutch.

Both clutches are available at Summit for considerably less than they are listed for on the Centerforce website.

CdJ

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom