Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1996 D44 Swap

Idaho Slim

Corvette
1996 LT1- Blk/Blk. 1996 LT4 - White/Blk
Getting ready to pull the trigger on swapping in a D44 3.90 ratio read end into our 96, auto coupe in preparation for this upcoming race season.

There used to be some articles on it, but my search turned up no results.
I think I remember there was a company that sold tyd kit ?

Thanks for any leads !

Dana 44 Install

I installed a Dana 44 in my 94 convertible. Assuming all the current items connected to the driveline are in VERY good working condition (this is a pain in the butt and you don't want to do it again anytime soon), The swap is easy and pretty straight forward. Just follow the FSM and disconnect the pieces (driveshaft, halfshafts, connected suspension pieces, transmission support brace, etc). Remove everything connected to the unit to make removal and handling easier. Once out of the vehicle, the Dana 36 and 44 are pretty light and can be handled pretty easily. The biggest headache in my opinion is the exhaust system. Another headache is the mixture of SAE and Metric sockets and wrenches necessary to remove the pieces.

One note though, you may read that you do not need to change the transmission support brace and driveshaft to one from an manual, I disagree. I followed their advice and was not happy with the final fit. The support worked well and the driveshaft did fit, but the tolerances were too tight to keep me from being concerned. I eventually changed the support brace and driveshaft to one from a manual transmission.

Overall, it will take about a day to drop the old and install the new.

On another note, not sure this is related to the tight driveshaft fit, I now have my center section out of the car due to grinding in reverse. May be related, may not, will never know.

Hib Areyou still around ??

Thank you alvette,

D44

I can't stress this enough make sure you get an alignment when you are done.

I can't stress this enough make sure you get an alignment when you are done.

Ok, I know this sounds dumb, align ............ (The rear end correct ?)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom