Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1996 HVAC blows randomly through vents

lbarnaby

Corvette
1996 Grand Sport
Just replaced water pump, Opti-Spark, plugs & wires. Now Auto AC blows air to windshield & floor at start-up. 10 miles later, air gradually shifts from windshield/floor to "face" outlets. About another 10 miles, air blows only to "face" outlets and no longer to windshield/floor. What could have happened during the replacement work? I checked the exterior temp resistor and it was OK but I still replaced it but the condition remains. Any experience with this before I start ripping the HVAC programmer apart?

Could you have possibly pinched, restricted or broken the vacuum hose(under the hood) that supplies the vacuum to actuate the various HVAC components, air routing doors etc.

Otherwise, check to see if its storing any codes in the HVAC system. "Sometimes" when it stores a code the A/C(or whatever function you are using) light will flash. You can find explanation in the "Electronic Automatic Air Conditioning" section of the FSM on page 1C1-2.

Check this out...1990 - 1996 Corvette: HVAC Diagnostic Codes

You could also do a master reset and just remove the ground cable off the battery for 15 seconds, then reconnect it. Then run it a while and see what happens.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom