Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1999 cam shaft advice or poll

mrfixer

Corvette
what would be the best cam to use on a stock 1999 corvette motor automatic except for headers and km air intake and would it be worth the money in preformance?
have been looking at comp.cams​

I'd put the stock cam and valve springs used in a 2001 LS6 in that engine. The 01 LS6 cam goes right in and the only other change you'll need is the valve springs. You can use your existing lifters, pushrods and rockers.

Note that the 02-04 LS6 camshaft is different and does not interchange as above.

thanks Hib But

I want to hear the lobe at idle and more performance then that stock one.

If the State of Illinois has an emissions test, even with retuning, you'll have a hard time passing with a camshaft radical enough to provide a noticeable lopey idle.

As for performance, if you want more of that of an 01 LS6, you're going to need a lot of camshaft becuase, the LS6es also had better cylinder heads. The point being, to get an LS1 to outperform an LS6 with only a camshaft change...it's going to have to be a big change. The engine will probably flunk a smog check, will have poor low speed performance and to run right at WOT will require custom ECM tuning.

Nevertheless, if those are the situations you desire, your first instinct...Comp Cams...is the best. They'll have a grind that will definitely sound radical, will reduce low end power, increase high rpm power and make passing emissions testing difficult.

Good luck.

what would be the best cam to use on a stock 1999 corvette motor automatic except for headers and km air intake and would it be worth the money in preformance?​

have been looking at comp.cams​
http://www.compcams.com/technical/Catalogs/106-07/172-175.pdf
Scroll down to the XR275HR 222/224 Approx. .568" of lift and 112 degree LSA. Not too big, but larger than the stock C5 ZO6. This cam will provide a little lope, without being radical. With this cam you will need a set of 26-918 springs, new super locks and a set of 7.4" chromemoly push rods. This in total runs approx. $900-1000.00 for all the parts. The cam is easy to install as well. If you have never done one on the C5 or LS series motor, I would buy the Will Hanzel book linked below. It's the best out there. You will need tuning after the cam install, I recommend a local dyno tune shop.
Amazon.com: How to Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s: Modifying and Tuning Gen III Engines for GM Cars & Pickups (S-A Design): Will Handzel: Books

i just got that book off ebay, theres a newer version 2008 instead of 2004. it was like 25.00 shipped. even if you know a lot about motors, this guy knows all kinds of secrets for power especially in the heads. check it out

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom