Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1999 to 2000 differance.

zagger

Corvette
99 C5 Convertible
When resorching aftermarket performance air systems, MAF, or throthle body I noticed they all asked if the LS1 is a 97/99 or 00/04. Since they all use LS1 can somone please tell me what the differance betwean the two is. Thank you in advence for any info.:w

Are you sure that the question isn't 97-00 and 01-04? 2001 is the year they changed the MAF design and IAT sensor location, which of course, would be relevant for air intake systems. :confused

You are wright about the years, my bad. Is the only diferance the location or are there phisical differances like the bore size?

There are several differences.
  1. MAF bore enlarged from ~76mm to 85mm
  2. IAT sensor moved from being a separate unit in the air bridge to an integrated piece with the MAF
  3. PCM calibration is different, to accomodate increased airflow of larger MAF.
  4. On the other side of the throttle body, LS1s came with the larger LS6 intake manifold as of 2001.
It's not going to be a plug-n-play swap.

Seams like a lots of $$ and changes to gain 5bhp. I might have to rethink my strategy. For now I'll just change the air filter box to a 3.5" twin tube, twin filter set up. Just one more question if I can, the stock MAF has a screen insert in it that looks very restrictive. If I was to remove the screen :bang will the MAF still function corectly, or it's better to buy an aftermarket one.
Thanks for all your input.

I doubt you will see even 1hp improvement with those changes. Most of the power increase in 2001 was attributable to the hotter cam they started using that year. The MAF and intake manifold were changed just to reduce inventory count and assembly time. 2001 was the year the Z06 was introduced, so they just used the same intake pieces on both the LS1 and LS6.

As for removing the screen, you will get differing opinions. If it were me, I would leave it alone. If you are looking for bolt-on horsepower increase, I think you would do better to look elsewhere (e.g., headers or higher ratio rockers).

GL! :beer

diff. between 2000 and 2004

Hi and it's been a while..
Anybody out there know the diff. between (other than 5hp) a 2000 and a 2004. Just traded my 00 for a 04 + $15500? Mine had 40,000 miles the 04 has 4,400 miles. I think i got a great deal.
Thanks for any info...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom