Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1st gear shimmy

Trance_LT4

Corvette
Red 96 LT4 coupe
Friend of mine asked me a question I couldn't answer. He's a got a 6 speed in his C4, and the car shakes a bit when he slips the clutch to start off (like from a stoplight). He either has to really goose it, or not use any gas when he starts off to not shake. Sounded odd to me, any ideas?

Sounds like the Throw out bearing bud but it can be the Clutch as well if its worn out.

Sounds like the clutch disc is wearing out and if it allowed to continue, some serious glazing of the flywheel is going to occur. :nono

It's highly suggested to replace both the disc and the pressure plate when you do address the problem. ;)

_ken :w

Clutch shimmy

I had that same problem on a '55 Chevy rebuild when I didn't think to have the fly wheel resurfaced before I installed it. This was on a 350, 4 speed but this sounds exactly the way mine acted. Removing the fly wheel and having it resurfaced fixed the problem. Of course I would suspect his is one of the latter problems since he probably doesn't have a warped fly wheel.

Shimmy

Either the flywheel,clutch or the pressure plate is not FLAT when engaging.

It's like the warped brake rotor thing.

If you have excessive runout...your brakes grab-release-grab-release squeek squeek squeek.squeek

Same deal here.

Do the whole thing, but the sooner you fix it the better.

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom