Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1st time buyers checklist

T

Texhusker

I just recently joined, so this is my first post. I have read a few post and y'all seem extremely nice and helpful. I am going to look at a 1976 Corvette to buy. I have wanted one since I can remember and that is many many years ago. I was wondering if anyone had ideas of what I should look at or for to ensure it is a decent purchase. I want it so I can do some restoration but still be able to drive. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the fun...

In general buying an older Corvette is really no different than buying any older car. Note, in general...

You know you should check for rust on all metal parts, check the condition of all the rubber parts, make sure everything mechanical is in working order, are there any body repairs, how does it drive, any smoking parts, any fluid leaks, any strange noises, etc...

There are some specific issues related to Corvettes. The easiest and probably the best way to help you with these is for you to scan through the various topics / posts on this forum.

I can't say enough good things about the people and information on this forum. You get to be part of real people's experiences and can get help from friendly people that have actually been there and done that.

Again, welcome... and have fun (that's what this is all about...)

P.S. You mentioned you were going to look at a 76. When you get back do a post on what you saw and any concerns that came up. Good luck and let us know what you found...

I have a great checklist

I found a great checklist right here on the CAC. It was once at:
www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/buyform.html

If this doesn't work and the form is no longer posted, e-mail me and I can e-mail you a copy.

This is the place to ask questions of some great people.

MOST OF ALL>>>>Buy the best car you can afford. Often the most expensive Corvette (of the style you want) will be the cheapest in the long run.

Link didn't work

Maybe Rob or Ken knows where this form has been filed. Otherwise I will scan it and re-submit.

Louie

At the top of the page is a TAB Tools once there go to Misc. and you'll find the evaluation sheet and couple pretty good articles too ;)

Thanks for all the great replies

A big Thank You to all that have replied. The information so far has been a tremendous help. I actually don't go until next week but will post a quick note to let all know how it went. Again Thank You all very much.

One other thing to consider is any Texas Smog rules that may apply to the car once you buy it. Make sure you don't wind up with a car that costs a fortune to get it up to par for the smog test.

Welcome to the CAC, good luck, and keep us posted.

Steve :w

Also, I would highlt recommend taking the car to a trusted mechanic and have him go over it thoroughly, even if he charges you. They can find many things you can't when they put it up on their lift.

Texhusker,
If you need an experienced mechanic to go with you, let me know.

Mike

That is absolutely the best idea, an experienced CORVETTE mechanic, who belongs to the CAC! :upthumbs

Steve :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom