Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1st time i knew.....

Well it was a little different for me.
I can't really say "I always dreamed of owning a Corvette". I mean I did (what American born male would answer the question "would you like to own a Corvette" with the answer "no"?), I just never saw my self as being in a position to actually get one.
Wifey had a significant neck injury a few years ago and was permanently put out of work. I made it a point to get her out of the house as much as possible, usually weekends, usually driving.
We also refinanced the mortgage for a better rate and cleared up any outstanding accounts, so while I didn’t have a pile of money sitting there, we were pretty much debt free except for the house.
Sooo....I get the bright idea "hey, why don’t I look for a nice car, that will be fun to drive her around in....nothing expensive....I don't know.....maybe an old Corvette. I always liked a 67 ish black coupe with side pipes and the 427 tri-power......what could it cost? $15,000 ? $20,000 ?....so I started looking around.
When the ambulance left.....<== that would be from the shock of seeing what that type of vette was going for :) I looked into the later models. C3 very nice....affordable too.....ride too stiff for wifey in her condition. C4 very nice...also affordable...but no matter what I do my head hits the targa bar (I only wanted a coupe). So that was pretty much it. C5's were beautiful but in my mind, way out of the budget.
So after looking at a crap load (that’s a technical term....its somewhere between a butt load and a sh_t load) of cars, I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be in a position to actually buy one.....wifey got tired of looking :)
We were standing in a local vette dealer looking at a black on black 2001 C5 coupe. She asked me "Any car here (and there were a bunch of really nice vettes....matching number c2's in great shape, c3's c4's and a bunch of c5's) which one would you get if you could ?" I said it would probably be this one right here. She told me to "wait here" and left. She comes back ten minutes later and counts out the down payment to the dealer :)
I couldn't believe it. I was nervous about spending so lavishly on something that wasn't a necessity. I'm sure you all know how it is. Many years, despite a lot of overtime, no vacations, the house.....life in general :) I asked her "why?" She replied "when ?" (in other words.....if not now.....when?). I told her thanks honey...but no....not sure this is the right thing to do, we're finally getting our heads above water.
Well....this story is getting complicated. I'm a little reticent to go into her real motive for insisting that we get the car, but I guess I'm in this far, won't make sense unless I just get it out there.
She turns to me and says "You always do the right thing :) You remember all those days coming home from the Trade Center? You're getting this car, we're done here :)" [without opening up an entirely different can of worms, I did 90 days at the rescue/recovery effort down there, and while I know we have other public safety and military people here who already know this, for the rest, some things take their toll on not only the people involved, but also to a great extent on the family at home]. What could I say? I made a half hearted effort to run down forty-seven different reasons why it wasn't a good idea....blah blah blah. She wouldn't have any of it. She says "if you don’t get this car now.....you are going to have to have the clips installed on the one you eventually get.......clips ?.....what clips?......the clips to hold your walker when you go out for a drive :)...we're done here....your getting this car".
We say it all the time : Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus. At least in my experience, quite often there is a significant discontinuity between the logic employed in ones own decision making process and that which we observe in the opposite sex. I guess the moral I'm trying to get to is, sometimes you just have to believe and go with it. Needless to say......we got the car.
One of the best things we ever did. Even conceding that Life was definitely on the upswing for us at that point, I have to admit that we have gleaned more enjoyment and done more things together with the vette then I ever thought we would. Great call honey :)

P.S. In looking back at this post it occurs to me that it went way longer then I intended, and I apologize to the reader for the lengthy response. In retrospect, it doesn't seem too far off the mark though. The intent of the thread seemed to be about the passion we here all have for owning and driving this particular car. Passion too strong a word? oh yeah?...tell me you haven't been walking by your garage on some other errand, and for no reason, just stepped in and ran your hand along the fender? What is that.....a wax check?....right.....just a car.....it's passion baby :)

That was a great story. Thanks for telling it.

I first became a Corvette fan with the midyears. I had seen the solid axles, and I liked them, but the midyears were my favorites. I was in junior high and I remember peddling my bicycle through a local park. Guys liked to park under the trees and wax their cars in that park. I saw a '63 and thought it was about the baddest car I had ever seen. I did not decide to have one at the time, but I was bitten by the bug.

I got married young, went to college, had kids, etc. There was just never any money for a nice second car. I drove left over family cars, used pickups, whatever was cheap and available. Later, as the kids got older and my situation started improving, I started talking about buying a Harley. My wife at the time was concerned about safety and suggested a better car instead. I did not even think about a Corvette, as I had the mistaken idea that they were too expensive. I ended up with a 1995 Eclipse GST (turbo, 2WD). I admit that i riced it up a little, adding a fart can, cold air kit, manual control waste gate, and a bigger turbo was going to be next. But it really was not what I wanted. I wanted a big displacement hot rod. I started talking about looking for a used Viper. Then my ex said the magic words: "How about a Corvette?"

I went down to Fairly Reliable Bob's, the local used dealer who specializes in Corvettes. They sell a bunch of them. They usually have about 20 on the lot.
http://www.fairlys.com/cgi-bin/pg.pl?f=index.html
I tried some C4's, including convertibles, and they had 2 C5's. I ended up buying a black '97 A4. I put a vanity plate on it that resulted in my CAC user name, DRTH VTR. I kept that car about 3 years and drove the crap out of it. It was my daily driver.

I got divorced and was in a position to upgrade, if I wanted to. I had always been dissatisfied with the automatic transmission, so I wanted to trade for a six speed. While I was at it, I thought that a Z06 would be best. I might as well get the beast! The last straw was when I read Hib Halverson's excellent series on Idavette.net.
http://www.c5registry.com/2k2z06/index.htm
http://idavette.net/hib/ls6/INDEX.HTM

I now own an electron blue 2002 Z06. I have owned it about 3 years and use it as my daily driver. I have a Corvette logo tattoo on my shoulder, so there is no going back now. I plan on keeping this one for quite a while. I saw no reason to trade for a C6; after all, my car is faster! I would like a C6 Z06, but that is out of my price range at the moment. Maybe some day...

WOW!! These are some great stories! It's good to know that I'm not alone in my feelings for the car. Jistari - your wife sounds like an incredible woman! I can certainly relate to how the car has brought you both together. It did the same for me and my wife.

My wife has totally supported my passion and all of my "gotta haves" for the car. She goes with me to all of the shows and social events - she counts all of the Corvette friends I've made as our friends. She sits out in the hot parking lot of the Scottsdale Pavilions, and has for three summers now, and never once complained that she's too hot or uncomfortable. She has ridden with me top down at speeds that exceeded the posted limit (I won't say, so don't ask) and never once complained about her hair getting messed up. I wouldn't own this car if it wasn't for her, and owning it with her by my side has enhanced the experience.

:v:w

The TV program Rt. 66 is what set the hook for me(that should give you a clue as to my age). It took from then until July of this year to actually happen though. My bride wanted to do some remodeling work to the house. So I jokingly told her to go ahead and do it, but if you do I get to buy a 'vette. So...the work is done on the house and I mention that I still don't have the 'vette....She says....See how much they will give us on the SUV. I took no action for a few days and we were out and I saw a Monteray Red Metallic C6. I said....We could shrink the SUV and be riding around in one of those.....She said once again go see the dealer and see what they will give us for the SUV(it never met a gas station it could pass by). Well this time I took the truck into the local Chevy dealer and I am now tooling around in a '06 C6 Monterrey Red Metallic coupe with Z51 suspension and auto trans. I am one happy old guy and the wife loves riding in it as well.

RWW

When I was 12 my parents took me Reedman in PA. That is where I saw my first 63 coupe. It was brand new and the first time I saw one in the flesh.
I still remember the sticker price: $4999.

:W
Guy

It was the 84 for me, I had always wanted a 66 SS Chevelle before that. My dad had one and I loved looking at pictures of it and talking about it with him, but when the 84 came out it was like a dream car back then. There was nothing even remotely like it. Then in 99 my friend decided to part with his 67. Yeah I know it is no where near a C-4. But I love the lines on a Mid Year. Now I've sold it and bought an 03 Z06. Vettes are wonderful. God Bless and keep you all
Steve

For me it was my 15th birthday, and I bought my first car magazine. It had a feature article on the new vette, and I was hooked.

Hadn't seen to many up close and personal, but it was love at first sight.

Like a lot of you, life intervened and it was a long wait. But, I have never regretted the day I bought my first vette. Now have a C-5 that is my therapy. I hop in the car, and everything that is bugging me just goes away.

When I was 12 my parents took me Reedman in PA. That is where I saw my first 63 coupe. It was brand new and the first time I saw one in the flesh.
I still remember the sticker price: $4999.

:W
Guy

Reedmans :D I can remember going there to get a sneak look at the 68's when they came out, I used to buy a lot of parts thru them even had an account with the parts dept way back then.

Me I never had an intrest vettes, I was always into Big block Mustangs In August of 2000 I was minding my own buisness at work,a freind stopped by with a new to him L89 coupe clone with side pipes. before he hit 3rd gear going side ways,that was it. I knew I had to have a big block corvette.
I know excactley what Bossvette is saying about the front end rising,being thrown in your seat.Every body some time in there life has got to go for a ride in a big block midyear

Thats what got me hooked,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom