Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1st to 4th gear

• Thread starter Thread starter snow0925
  • Start date Start date
S

snow0925

Have a 6 speed 2000 coupe... is there someway I can (or a certified mechanic) bypass that annoying automatic 1st to 4th gear shift.
Many Thanks

I have definately seen some 'plug in' mods that allow this, I believe its some kind of unit that you add in a junction somewhere in the harness.
tomas

Thanks Tom...anyone else know about these and where I can get one? Are they difficult to install?

Snow,
I looked through my magazines (only have half of them since I'm in college) and finally came across some info:
"Skipping Is Not Allowed:
Every model Corvette has its quirks; for C5 performance enthusiasts, the "skip shift" feature has got to be one of the most annoying. Hurst now has a fix wtih its C.A.G.S (Computer Aided Gear Selector) Skip Shift Eliminator. This piece is for '98-01 Corvettes with six-speed transmissions and eliminates the annoying First to Fourth mandatory gear change that occurs under pre-set engine rpm and mph conditions. This allows full First through Sixth gear changes at any speed, rpm, or throttle position for maximum performance acceleration on Corvettes having the Six-speed BW t-56 transmission. It's easily installed and OBD II compatible. Contact the Mr. Gasket Performance Group, 10601 Memphis Ave. #12, Dept. VM, Cleveland, OH 44144; (216) 688 8300, www.mrgasket.com "
thats from page 14 of the sept 2002 magazine 'Vette'

from the picture it looks like complete 'plug 'n play' to me. looks like a very simple, quick job, and also appears completely reversible.
good luck
tomas

I found a thread that discusses it some, you might find some info here:
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7673&highlight=skip+shift

and here:
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13921&highlight=CAGS

I haven't tried any CAGS eliminator mechanisms.
I thought I would hate this feature but it doesn't happen to me much. My manual says it only happens at <= 21% throttle and 15-19 mph; when the light comes on I usually just ignore it .
I usually don't shift to 2nd until I'm going at least 20 mph anyway, its a habit I got into with my older high revving 4 cyl integra.

no problem snow. I used to think it would be a horrible annoyance but after reading Corvette from the Inside, I saw a little bit of the reasoning.
tomas

The first mod I did was the CAGS eliminate. I don't have a lift & didn't want to try & jack up my brand new Vette, so I had it done for about $40. You can get the part fromn a supplier or some go to Radio Shack & spend $2.00 & do it themselves. How ever you do it, it needs to be done!!!:beer

The method I've been using since day 1 is to just skip 2nd gear and just shift from 1st to third, when pulling off from a stop on streets with LOW speed limits. It hasn't caused any problems, and the ride is smoother than when your in 1st and want to shift to 2nd,but the shifter tries to go into 4th. Costs nothing, and works for me.

CAGS eliminators are available from most Vette accessories sources and are simple to install . Just unplug a connector and plug in the two caps supplied . Cliff

Disable the CAGS

Very simple to do, and worth every penny. I think I spent around $20.00 for the by-pass from Mid America. Just remember where to find your tranny to do the by-pass. I got under the car and was thinking about my 94. Took me a minute, and a good slap to the face to wake up to where I was.

first to fourth shift

Yes, it is maddening. I just bought a 2002 Vet Z06. I had the dealer put in a "Skip Switch" for $65.00; labor to install was $35.00. Now, I shift normally now and I am pleased.

By the way this "Skip Switch" was put in by the Chevrolet/Corvette dealer and has been authorized by General Motors. GM must put this first to fourth procedure into the system or the Vet would be rated as a gas guzzler just like the Viper. The gas guzzler tax amounts to a few thousand dollars. I'll tell you how long it takes the mechanic to install this switch. I walked outside the dealership while the serviceman got under the car and install it. I smoked a cigarette. I walked back in and the job was complete.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom