Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2 fuel bowl problems

Peer81

Corvette
'81 Black
Hello everybody,

Last time I thought my throttle body gasket was leaking but that isn't the case.
When I was trying to form a fuel tight new acc. pump discharge ball seat, after 3 or 4 attempts I punched to hard and (now I know) the underside of the fuel bowl cracked where the acc. pump discharge channel meets the fuel bowl underside. I have a spear fuel bowl but its a very small crack, could this be repaired by Tig welding?

Other problem. My spare fuel bowl doesn't have the plastic insert anymore that goes under the A/F solenoid connector. So now fuel can enter the cavity under the connector is this a problem, could I drive it like this and if not. Where can I get a new plastic insert. (Changing it from the other one isn't possible because it's very very tight in the alu!)

If I could fine another E4ME here in Holland then I would use that one but that isn't that easy (nearly impossible)

Greetings Peter

Peter,

Sorry to hear about your troubles, I recently rebuilt my carb and I did not have the plastic insert under the M/C sol. either. The car seems to run fine.
Good Luck

Peter,do you need just a part or the whole carb ??????

No idea what they used for metal, but it won't respond to any heat for welding. It'll just disappear.

Use some good epoxy to repair the crack. We used to fix the two soft lead plugs in the bottom of the float bowl with epoxy or J-B Weld.

I just need the plastic insert for under the MC solenoid. But as (I think) it's impossible to remove them from an old fuel bowl. So another fuel bowl would also be fine or an entire E4ME. :)

I have some Marine Tex so I could fix it with that but as it is on the underside of the fuel bowl and with the acc. pump there will be max pressure on the epoxy. And if the epoxy fails with a hot engine the fuel will run on the intake within a couple of seconds I don't think that is a very good idea. If the bottom plugs leak they leak direct into the intake so that isn't a big problem.

Let me do some checking and see what I can come up with.meanwhile PM me your address
and I have my wife see how much it would cost to send a bowl or carb to you....

Peter I have a E4ME from an '81 4 speed I picked up from e-bay a couple of years ago just to have as a spare if I needed one....Interested??????

Hello Bill,

No sorry, I rebuild the carb without the plastic insert like Tim did and no problems so far. The shopmanual also states to re-insert the insert if it's present, so I think without it would not be a big problem. But thank you for looking up the shipping costs and the carb :)
Now I can get back to fine tune the carb. :)

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom