Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2000 Front Spring Failure?

ChuckG

Corvette
63FI, 69BB
Bought a 2000 convertible with 36K miles from the original owner/dealer. Have pix of the car when I bought it in March, 2004. The car sat "even". I could put "four fingers", pinky, ring, middle, and index between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender on the front and rear.

After about a month, the front started to "sag". I was dragging the spoiler. Was down to "one finger" on the front. Adjusted the spring bolts "downward". Got the car back to "four fingers".

Started to sag again. I screwed the spring bolts in all the way in...with just the 10mm. hex bolt showing. Got back to "4 fingers", even after the car "settled". The car is down to "2 fingers" again.

Thought that the rubber ends of the spring bolts might be too worn. Went to Chevy and found that you cannot buy just the spring bolts...they are part of the entire spring assembly.

Can the fiberglass front spring "fail" so quickly? It looks OK to me. No splits, cracks, etc. This is driving me NUTS. The spoiler is dragging on my driveway, and on almost every bump in the road.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Has anyone replaced a front spring on a car with now only 38K miles on it? I'm baffled? Chuck

Went to my local Corvette Club show today. LOTS of C5's. Did a non scientific study. EVERY unmodified C5, "older" ones and new ones had 3 1/2 to 4 fingers between the top of the front tire and the bottom of the fender lip.

Talked to one fellow who had a "2 finger" car. :) He told me he "slammed" it to get the low "raked" look. He "unscrewed" the bolts to lower the car. Mine's "slammed" with the bolts turned all the way in with just the top of the 10mm hex head showing. I had to remove the little retainer clip to get them to screw down as far as I have them.

SO....I guess I'm not crazy :) Somethings broken or worn out. Spring? Somebody suggested a "strut rod"? Chuck

do not use wheel cleaner on the wheels as it will attack the spring as will any strong cleaner

a friend has a 2001 convertible with 13K miles. The front spring was just replaced under warranty. He had a similar sagging condition and after close inspection they found some cracks starting to appear.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom