Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2001 Convert purchase

RJS91RGTP

Corvette
2002 Torch Red Coupe
Guys and Gals, I need some quick input. I am helping my sister buy her first Vette and we are looking at an 01 Vert. The history of the car shows that the car was in for Clearcoat problems three times. The hood was redone first, the rear lid next and the rear bumper the final time. This seems unusual for a car like this. Anyone know about Clearcoat issues in the 2001 model year? Should we stay away from this car? It is in Michigan. Any help or input would be appreciated.

RJ

Chicago

:confused

RJ,
I did a quick look through the CAC's Knowledgebase, and couldn't find any reference to a problem with clear coat in 2001's. (The only subject I found on 2001's having to do with paint was THIS Service Bulletin.)

Have you tried pulling a Carfax report on this Vert? I would guess that if the clear coat is a persistent problem in various locations on the car, it may say more about how the car was cared for than a defect in the paint. (That's conjecture on my part, but I have to admit I've not heard of clear coat issues before now.)

Keep us posted on whether you get a Carfax, and what it shows.

:w
-Patrick

I don't recall any posts about clearcoat problems on C5's. That is strange.

I think I would avoid that one.

RJ,

I'd agree with Tammy and Dwayne - there's something wrong with this particular car. There are plenty of adult owned, low milage pampered C5 verts out there for sale.

Remo:cool

I would definately stay away from one with so many paint problems. It will hurt the resale very badly.
Check out my website and see if any strike your fancy I have over 55 vettes in stock. The prices listed are for retail people but to forum memebers I sell em wholesale so let me know if you see any or call me and let me know what you are looking for.

RJS91RGTP said:
Guys and Gals, I need some quick input. Anyone know about Clearcoat issues in the 2001 model year? Should we stay away from this car? It is in Michigan. Any help or input would be appreciated.

RJ

Chicago

:confused

I agree with the previous posts.
I have an '01 that I bought brand new and have never had nor heard of any issues with the clearcoat on these cars.

That paint might have been damaged and the car was re-painted or the car may have been damaged and repaired.

About Carfax, it is my understanding that not all states use it.
Also, if the previous owner had a high deductible on his insurance and paid for some cosmetic repair himself, it will not show up on Carfax.

I'd move along..there are lots of used C5s out there.
What's the expression?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck....

Best of luck...
Pedro:w

www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/results.cfm

There is a bubbling prob on the rear hatch. I have it. Guess I'm lucky.

Dan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom