Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2001 Corvette Z06 X Exhaust Pipe Mod

• Thread starter Thread starter TEDF
  • Start date Start date
T

TEDF

Subject X pipe for 2001 Z06. I've talked to several Corvette performance people, and they say that there is no benefit to install a X pipe on a Z06, however there is on a C5. The catalog folks claim on a Z06 there is a slight horsepower gain, and a big gain in torque. I realize the parts folks are in business to sell product, does anyone have any hands on experience with the addition of a X pipe on HP/TQ increase on 2001 Z06.
REGARDS TED

Subject X pipe

From Corsa Performance The Pace/Pro system will add 12-14 H.P. and 10-12 Ft/Lb. of torque over stock. Another 3 H.P. can be added with the optional x-pipe (#14131). I hope this is of some help.

Aside from smoothing out the exhaust, cutting down on the deacceleration popping, and a SOTP conclusion that there is more power, I just had one BIG benefit pointed out to me the other day. I had a guy in a Impala SS pull up to me at a stoplight and ask what I had, 'cause my car "sounded bada$$".

I'm running a Magnaflow X-pipe with 2-tip Borla Stingers...

S-TEE said:
Aside from smoothing out the exhaust, cutting down on the deacceleration popping, and a SOTP conclusion that there is more power, I just had one BIG benefit pointed out to me the other day. I had a guy in a Impala SS pull up to me at a stoplight and ask what I had, 'cause my car "sounded bada$$".

I'm running a Magnaflow X-pipe with 2-tip Borla Stingers...
It's the Stingers.

Most guys do the x-pipe at the same time they do headers and exhaust. Most tuners will tell you there's not much to be gained from an x-pipe alone.

It will cut down on the popping and cracking on decell though.

Most tuners don't know a lot about making power, they just copy someone else's stuff. A properly installed x pipe will give you more low rpm torque, which is what you want.

Ken Anderson said:
Most tuners don't know a lot about making power, they just copy someone else's stuff. A properly installed x pipe will give you more low rpm torque, which is what you want.
:confused That's what they do for a living. You might see a small gain, but not a great deal. Check out this link: http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/0307vet_xpipe/index.html

As you can see in the chart, the gain is in the exhaust on a C5. The Z06 exhaust is very good stock. Most guys just want to improve the sound of their cars, that's why they change cat backs. On a otherwise stock Z, you'll see very little gain with an x-pipe alone.

Apples & Oranges. We are talking about a Z06 and not a stock c-5 with an auto transmission. I have a Z with xpipe and the A&A mod and I can tell you it works. If you want to quote an article, use one that on a Z. For every good tuner there are 4 who don't know what they're doing. Go to the Z net and read the horror stories for yourself.

Ken Anderson said:
Apples & Oranges. We are talking about a Z06 and not a stock c-5 with an auto transmission. I have a Z with xpipe and the A&A mod and I can tell you it works. If you want to quote an article, use one that on a Z. For every good tuner there are 4 who don't know what they're doing. Go to the Z net and read the horror stories for yourself.
I'm no novice Ken. I've been a member over on Z06Vette.com since the beginning. This is my second Z, which is extensively modified (Including a Bassani off-road X-pipe). I'm telling you there is no more than 5rwhp and 5rwtq to be gained on a Z06 with the X-pipe only.

You're correct about there being many poor tuners out there. Mine however, Dynotech in Ft. Wayne Indiana, is not one of them. Phil Rickard, the owner, is a former engine builder at Lingenfelter and former C5R mechanic. We've become pretty good friends while he's worked on my car, so I gave him a call and asked him his opinion. His opinion is that the X-pipe will aid scavaging in higher hp applications, on an otherwise stock Z, it doesn't do much. Add a set of long tubes and you'll see a little more of a gain. Get into the heads, cam and fi, and you might see a little more. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Some other opinions:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59764&highlight=X-Pipes

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45965&page=1&pp=15&highlight=X-Pipes

Ken,

I gotta agree with Tom--the biggest improvement that I got was smoothing out the exhaust sound and getting rid of the deaccel popping. On the other hand, a friend of mine who installed one on his C5 auto said he realized a noticible improvement with the X-pipe and Stingers.

You gotta see the kind of service Tom got from Dynotech--they sent a couple of guys all the way to Bowling Green to fix Tom's car when he had problems with his blower at this past year's Z06Fest. But other than the blower, all he had on his car was a window sticker and some fuzzy dice.
:L :L :L
Just kidding--Tom's car is "extensively modified", and very nice...

S-TEE said:
Ken,

...all he had on his car was a window sticker and some fuzzy dice.
:L :L :L
Just kidding--Tom's car is "extensively modified", and very nice...
Gotta love those fuzzy dice!! (good for two tenths in the quarter!);)

Currently running Borla Stingers on my 99 auto. If I add the x-pipe will it sound any meaner than it does with just the Stingers. I don't mind the popping on decel or the motorboat burble. But if it will sound more throaty and grab 5lb/ft torque, I'll do it. Mainly for the sound change. Has anyone put on catbacks then at a later date added the x-pipe? That's what I want to hear about.

Pac-man said:
Currently running Borla Stingers on my 99 auto. If I add the x-pipe will it sound any meaner than it does with just the Stingers. I don't mind the popping on decel or the motorboat burble. But if it will sound more throaty and grab 5lb/ft torque, I'll do it. Mainly for the sound change. Has anyone put on catbacks then at a later date added the x-pipe? That's what I want to hear about.
That's exactly what I did on mine--added the X-pipe after the Stingers. I have not tested it other than SOTP, but it felt a bit stronger. I installed the Magnaflow X-pipe. The thing I liked the most was that it DID cut the popping down and smoothed the sound of the exhaust out. From what a friend tells me, the X-pipe made a BIG difference on his auto coupe. He also had Stingers on it first. Go for it, you can never have enough mods! :)

But does it sound deeper and more throaty or does it mellow the sound out? Will it be louder? That is the question that I am most curious about. I am looking for a more aggresive sound.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom