Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 2001 Z06

61 Silver

Corvette
1961 270HP and 1963 340HP
Hi!​

I am a C-1 owner that might be in the market for a newer Corvette.​

I just looked at a 2001 ZO6 with about 26,000 miles. The car is very clean in side and out, but there seemed to be an engine knock or noise. The owner who is the second owner stated that the noise has always been there.​

The car is very original with all it's original parts except for tires with 4,000 miles on them.​

What should one look for when buying a 2001 Z06. Has anyone experienced problems and if you have, at what mileage did the problems start.​

Thanks for any help!​

Ray​

Hi!​

I am a C-1 owner that might be in the market for a newer Corvette.​

I just looked at a 2001 ZO6 with about 26,000 miles. The car is very clean in side and out, but there seemed to be an engine knock or noise. The owner who is the second owner stated that the noise has always been there.​

The car is very original with all it's original parts except for tires with 4,000 miles on them.​

What should one look for when buying a 2001 Z06. Has anyone experienced problems and if you have, at what mileage did the problems start.​

Thanks for any help!​

Ray​
About all the aluminum block LS engines have knocks till they get to operating temp,and ones with six speeds have even more!!:upthumbs

Thanks! Ray

02 Suburban & 04 Z06

No knocks. Cold or warmed up.

:)

Some do knock.

Hi,

Just want you to know that '01 ZO6's had a problem with ring seals. You might want to look at some that are newer.

We are looking to increase our inventory by 1-2 C5 ZO6's. I can certainly get in touch with you when I have further info.

Please feel free to contact me at any time.

Elaine
Corvette Mike New England
Store: 508-747-8388
Cell: 617-872-8252

About all the aluminum block LS engines have knocks till they get to operating temp,and ones with six speeds have even more!!:upthumbs

The above statement is not correct--mostly BS/urban legend.

Reality is that some 97-01 LS1s and LS6es exhibit "cold piston knock". An engine which has that characteristic (and not all do), after a cold start, will make a slight rattling noise that, sometimes< sounds a little like lifter noise. Others have described this as sounding like someome was lightly tapping on the side of the block with a small hammer. The noise goes away quickly after the engine starts.

The type of transmission the car has does not directly affect cold piston knock, however, an engine which exhibits the characteristic is most likely to make the noise the loudest when the powertrain is just short of the point between accel. and decel. An example of this would be when you are driving the car normally on the street after a cold start--just as you lift off the gas prior to shifting (ie: there's still a slight load on the engine but the load is still decreasing) you'll hear the rattle.

Because a manual and an automatic load the engine at part throttle differently, it's often the case that this noise will be more easy to hear or easier to duplicate on a car with a manual than on a car with an automatic.

In the vast majority of cases of cold piston knock, it is an annoyance not a problem.

The only cases which are problems are if: 1) it's really loud and/or 2) it doesn't go away once the engine begins to warm-up.

Changes in block machining and piston design eliminated cold-piston knock as an annoyance starting with MY02.

The above statement is not correct--mostly BS/urban legend.

Reality is that some 97-01 LS1s and LS6es exhibit "cold piston knock". An engine which has that characteristic (and not all do), after a cold start, will make a slight rattling noise that, sometimes< sounds a little like lifter noise. Others have described this as sounding like someome was lightly tapping on the side of the block with a small hammer. The noise goes away quickly after the engine starts.

The type of transmission the car has does not directly affect cold piston knock, however, an engine which exhibits the characteristic is most likely to make the noise the loudest when the powertrain is just short of the point between accel. and decel. An example of this would be when you are driving the car normally on the street after a cold start--just as you lift off the gas prior to shifting (ie: there's still a slight load on the engine but the load is still decreasing) you'll hear the rattle.

Because a manual and an automatic load the engine at part throttle differently, it's often the case that this noise will be more easy to hear or easier to duplicate on a car with a manual than on a car with an automatic.

In the vast majority of cases of cold piston knock, it is an annoyance not a problem.

The only cases which are problems are if: 1) it's really loud and/or 2) it doesn't go away once the engine begins to warm-up.

Changes in block machining and piston design eliminated cold-piston knock as an annoyance starting with MY02.

When I was out shopping I never heard any of them knock:bash

But did find find a HUGE difference in ride quailty from the 2001 from the
2002- 2004. Nigth and day difference And wound up with a 04

LOVE IT And would recomend it everyone !!!

Alot of BANG for the buck :r

As far as C5 Zs go, the 01-03s ride and handle about the same. The big difference came for 04, when the shocks were revalved. Handling stayed about the same (very good) but ride improved significantly.

Rembmer 01s have 385hp 02-04 has 405.

HI there,
And the cold start piston slap that some have mentioned here, will substantially decrease with a Decarb procedure.
The key is a trained ear from a professional to determine WHAT is causing the noise.
01 engines had this particular noise MORE then 02-04, due to redesigned pistons and piston to bore tolerancing.
Allthebest, c4c5

I just got 03 Zo6 after testdriving bunch and talking to owners of z06.
One of guys owned 2001 and traded that in for 2002 405 hp and him and me also recomennd putting your money on z06 from 2002 t0 2004 ,bottom line it has better everything,brakes ,tranny,engine,susspension.
hope i could help.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom