Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2001 Zo6 "popping" out of first gear

Dad2BJO

Corvette
01 Z06
I just bought the car on Saturday and it literally started doing this at the second stoplight from the dealership. (They were gone when I called). Anyways I am taking the car back on Monday Night (Labor Day) but is this a sign of even more problems down the road or somthing simple. It did NOT do this on the test drive of course. The car has 32000 miles on it.

Thanks.

Jim

Typically, when the trans won't say in gear or "pops" out of gear, the trans needs repair. This can be as simple as a linkage adjustment. More likely it means changing a syncho assy or (worst case) a complete overhaul.

The problem is that either of those requires disassembly of the entire driveline and is a costly job.

I just bought the car on Saturday and it literally started doing this at the second stoplight from the dealership. (They were gone when I called). Anyways I am taking the car back on Monday Night (Labor Day) but is this a sign of even more problems down the road or somthing simple. It did NOT do this on the test drive of course. The car has 32000 miles on it.

Thanks.

Jim

It may be just a simple shifter adjustment problem. I would have your dealer perform the shifter adjustment first , and then have them test drive the vehicle with you as the driver to see if the problem goes away. While the vehicle is in the service department, ask the service manager if he will change your transmission fluid for your inconvenience. Redline D4 ATF fluid made a big difference in shifting quality in my vehicle, and in my opinion would be your best choice for transmission fluid if they agree to do it. Good luck with it.

Thanks. I should also clarify, that when I test drove the car I noticed the parking brake needed adjustment. A service guy was there and adjusted it since they would not let me leave with the car because it was a saftey issue. When they made this adjustment could have the shifter linkage gotten out of adjustment? The shifting problem happened AFTER this was done. Also I did not but this from just any dealer, they are probably the top selling Corvette dealer in my area and very reputable. If there is a problem they will take care of it.

Thanks

Thanks. I should also clarify, that when I test drove the car I noticed the parking brake needed adjustment. A service guy was there and adjusted it since they would not let me leave with the car because it was a saftey issue. When they made this adjustment could have the shifter linkage gotten out of adjustment? The shifting problem happened AFTER this was done. Also I did not but this from just any dealer, they are probably the top selling Corvette dealer in my area and very reputable. If there is a problem they will take care of it.

Thanks

There should be no correlation between parking brake adjustment and your shifting problem. To adjust the parking brake properly the rear wheels need to come off, along with the rear brake rotors, and then adjust the parking brake shoes to spec's inside the rear rotor hats. I cannot see any realtion between those operations. If they are a quality dealer then I am sure they should take care of your problem.

Thanks LLC5 and Hib,

I did not think there was anyway possible they could be related but thought I would ad that just in case. I am taking it back to them on Wednesday and let them take their time with it. They sell and service alot of Vette's so it is not like I bought it from some Kia dealer who got it in from an auction. They were concerned and wanted me to bring it in as soon as I could to take care of it. Will let you know how it turns out.

Did they address the issue yet?

I had the same issue, I bought from a private seller, though. I got a good deal on the car. I had in mind to change the trans anyway for future mods. Ended up going with an RPM Level IV.

Before I did the trans, I ended up installing an MGW shifter. The MGW is a very precise shifter, it doesn't feel sloppy like the factory one. I also changed the trans, clutch and rear end fluid as well.

Like Hib said, it is a costly job if you can't do it yourself. It's not difficult to do yourself but you will need space, another person, 4 jack stands and probably 2 jacks. All the tools are basic tools.

And I figured that since I was going to swap out the trans, may as well take off a few more bolts and do the clutch and pressure plate as well. I upgraded to an LS7 unit.

If you do end up dropping the driveline, it's also a good time to throw in new clutch hydraulics in there along with a remote bleeder for your clutch.

Yes, they are fixing it. I took it back to the dealer and one of the mechanics rode with me and it did not take long before the car popped out of first. He indicated he had to pull the trans. He said someone should have caught it when they took the car in. They said thier main goal was to make sure I was happy so I would buy my next Vette from them too. The mechanic said the job itself should not take too long (for him) but he could not get to it until this week.

Will update when I get it back.

Yes, they are fixing it. I took it back to the dealer and one of the mechanics rode with me and it did not take long before the car popped out of first. He indicated he had to pull the trans. He said someone should have caught it when they took the car in. They said thier main goal was to make sure I was happy so I would buy my next Vette from them too. The mechanic said the job itself should not take too long (for him) but he could not get to it until this week.

Will update when I get it back.

It sounds like you've got a good dealership there!

-Mac

It sounds like you've got a good dealership there!

-Mac

Follow up. Dealer fixed it and after I brought it home, I noticed small drops of tranny fluid on the grage floor. Took it back and the dealer removed the trans and resealed the case along with new input and output seals. During the inspection the tech noticed the the left inner CV boot was leaking and replaced that as well. He also replaced the parking brake shoes as well as replacing damaged wiring near the trans. They also gave it a 4 wheel alignment.

No cost to me outside of not having the car for a week. They even gave me a loaner.

Ballweg Chevrolet in Middleton WI

I wish my local dealership was that good! They're not bad but nothing like your experience.

The check engine light flashed on my Hummer H3. I was about due for an oil change so I brought it in and asked them to check it out. They told me the entire head needed to be replaced. :ugh

Apparently, there's been an identified problem with the 3.5 lt inline 5 cylinder engines, especially in the Colorado & Canyon, something to do with soft valve seats. GM isn't doing a recall but they've extended warranty past 60K miles on the Colorado & Canyon to 100K miles.

I have 65K miles on the H3.
The dealership told me to contact GM and enquire if they would extend warranty on my H3. GM confirmed the extended warranty on the Colorado and Canyon but there weren't enough identified problems with the H3 to justify including it in the extension. They don't deny there is a problem... they're just not going to do anything about it.

The dealership says they'll reduce the cost on parts by 15% which helps a bit. It's still a pretty bitter pill but
;shrug

-Mac

I wish my local dealership was that good! They're not bad but nothing like your experience.

The check engine light flashed on my Hummer H3. I was about due for an oil change so I brought it in and asked them to check it out. They told me the entire head needed to be replaced. :ugh

Apparently, there's been an identified problem with the 3.5 lt inline 5 cylinder engines, especially in the Colorado & Canyon, something to do with soft valve seats. GM isn't doing a recall but they've extended warranty past 60K miles on the Colorado & Canyon to 100K miles.

I have 65K miles on the H3. The dealership told me to contact GM and enquire if they would extend warranty on my H3. GM confirmed the extended warranty on the Colorado and Canyon but there weren't enough identified problems with the H3 to justify including it in the extension. They don't deny there is a problem... they're just not going to do anything about it.

The dealership says they'll reduce the cost on parts by 15% which helps a bit. It's still a pretty bitter pill but ;shrug

-Mac

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking on getting rid of my expedition with 175K miles and was thinking of an H3 or a Colorado but I may stay away.

I had a problem years ago with an 89 S-10 that I bought with 8K miles on it in 90. I think it had a 60K warranty on it and I started hearing a "clunk" in the rear end at about 58K. Having grown up on a farm and being around big trucks I could tell it was a rear end problem but the dealer said it was a front sway bar, replaced it without asking and then billed me because it was not driveline. I was in school and money was tight and I was not happy. Drove it out of the service door and I could hear the "clunk" in the rear end. Drove back in and took mechanic with me and he could not tell what was wrong on the drive and said they would take it apart but if there was nothing wrong I would be billed. They found out it was a ring gear which was under warranty and they fixed it and refunded the money on the sway bar and labor because it was fine to begin with. How they could not figure it out is beyond me.

Yes I will go to Ballweg again that is for sure. Tom was my sales guy and he is top notch.

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking on getting rid of my expedition with 175K miles and was thinking of an H3 or a Colorado but I may stay away.
Apparently, the issue was exclusive to the 2005/2006 model years with the 3.5 liter engine. If you find one in those years that you're interested in, have compression tests on all cylinders and if they're all good, it's not a problem.

I love my H3 and it's given me no other problem. In fact, this problem hasn't affected drive-ability much. Despite having lowered compression in two of five cylinders, she still gets me where I need to go.

-Mac

Apparently, the issue was exclusive to the 2005/2006 model years with the 3.5 liter engine. If you find one in those years that you're interested in, have compression tests on all cylinders and if they're all good, it's not a problem.

I love my H3 and it's given me no other problem. In fact, this problem hasn't affected drive-ability much. Despite having lowered compression in two of five cylinders, she still gets me where I need to go.

-Mac

Could an H3 handle a 21 foot ski boat? I need a tow vehicle and the boat is the biggest toy I have to pull. I also need room for 3 hockey bags, 3 kid size hockey players and a hockey mom. :)

Could an H3 handle a 21 foot ski boat? I need a tow vehicle and the boat is the biggest toy I have to pull. I also need room for 3 hockey bags, 3 kid size hockey players and a hockey mom. :)

The V8 model could but the inline 5 which I have is only rated to tow 1500 lbs. There should be room for the drive to the rink but I would be tempted, given your desire to tow, to look at a Yukon or similar.

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom