Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2002 Convertible Purchase

Bonnell

Corvette
2008 Convertible
Hi Everyone,

I currently own a 1988 vette and I have the opportunity of purchasing another. I think I have decided on a 2002 model and I want a convertible.

I would appreciate input on what things I should watch out for. I am looking at a 2002 Black/Tan model with most options other than the selective ride. It looks great and has good tires. The odometer reads 30,756 and the price is $33K.

Are there known issues I should know about?

Thanks,

J

The things that come to mind are:
- the fuel gauge sending unit problem- you get erroneous (empty) readings when the tank isn't empty. Not sure how you could verify that the car doesn't have the problem though.
- check for battery acid leaks onto the computer module that sits just beneath (expensive to replace)
- pull all codes to see if anything has been going on

Tammy

Hi Everyone,

I currently own a 1988 vette and I have the opportunity of purchasing another. I think I have decided on a 2002 model and I want a convertible.

I would appreciate input on what things I should watch out for. I am looking at a 2002 Black/Tan model with most options other than the selective ride. It looks great and has good tires. The odometer reads 30,756 and the price is $33K.

Are there known issues I should know about?

Thanks,

J

I have not seen the car but the price seams at the top of the price scale considering the milage. I own a 02 MY convertable with an automatic and watch the used prices as I want a new Z06

We are just outside of NYC and 32,000 get you a 10,000 to 14,000 mile car in our area

Run a car fax and find out where its been,We all know the areas that have had huricane and flood damage over the last 4 years

Also see if the frendly service wrighter at your local dealer will print the history of the car gm has on the car for you

Run a car fax and find out where its been,We all know the areas that have had huricane and flood damage over the last 4 years

Also see if the frendly service wrighter at your local dealer will print the history of the car gm has on the car for you

These are excellent suggestions to learn more about the history of this specific car. If you want a more general understanding of the common issues for 2002's, you might try doing some exploration in the CAC's Knowledgebase. It has the most extensive listing of Technical Service Bulletins you'll find.

Good luck!

:w
-Patrick

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for your input. I will check the battery and review the Carfax again. If I remember correctly the car had two previous registrations and the Carfax was clean.

I am curious, I know there is always a good deal out there. I was shocked at how much car I could have gotten when I purchased my '88 four years ago. Had I been a member of this forum before I bought it I would have done much better. I watch eBay frequently and it seems that the $33K price tag is pretty much in line with eBay auctions. Does everyone agree that $33K should get a <15K mile car?

I understand that on 70s model vettes the enclosure where the top is stored had to be checked wear. Is there anything on the '02 convertible top that should be examined?

Sounds like my story. I had a 87 but was looking to
get a c5. I found a 02 conv.that both my wife
and I liked so we bought it, can't get the smile off
my face.
The hiden story is I couldn't part with the 87 so I still have it.
I guess we have the start of a collection.
The price doesn't seem to far out of line if the car was
well taken care of and its the one you want.
Len

I may give my '88 to my youngest son. Otherwise, I will probably sell it since it has 165K miles on it. Someone else may take it and put some cash into an engine and paint job and have a good time.

The hiden story is I couldn't part with the 87 so I still have it.
I guess we have the start of a collection.

I had to take my Vette into the shop today (long story for elsewhere), and ahead of me in the service line was a gent with a 2006 silver coupe. He asked me how I liked my convertible, and then said "I just bought myself a convertible for my birthday, I'm going to Bowling Green to pick it up." He was also going to have some kind of mod to the power on the '06 while at the factory. MUST BE NICE!!!!

Having 2 '06s must be nice!

My financing will not be completed until tomorrow so I won't pick my '02 Roadster up until tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday. This past weekend seemed to last forever! I did take it for a ride today and it is amazing how much faster the LS1 is compared to the L98.

The '02 roadster is quieter than my '88 but it has a really good sound if you get into it. It has a much better a/c system that the '88. That is really good news. My '88 with the glass top is realy hard to cool on a hot summer day.

I picked it up today!! What a ride. I spent the afternoon riding with the top down. This is far faster and smoother than by '88. I have just started but I think the '88 corners every bit as well.

I love teh HUD! Pictures for those who are interested will come this weekend.

CONGRATS!!!!

Every car should have the HUD - it's great (as you know).

Guy

Bonnell,
Congratulations! You still have a bit more top-down weather before the chill sets in. Enjoy, and do post pics when you get them :m

Tammy

Bonnell,
Congratulations! You still have a bit more top-down weather before the chill sets in. Enjoy, and do post pics when you get them :m

Tammy

I hope to have another two months! :D I will post photos this weekend. Thanks.

CONGRATS!!!!

Every car should have the HUD - it's great (as you know).

Guy

It is great. I had decided that the HUD was a required option and I was not going to buy a vette without it.

Will your drink holder hold a Sonic Route 44 (my wifes favorite)?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom