Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2002 zo6

Grumpysvette

Corvette
2000 coupe,2002 zo6
just picked up my new 02 zo6 at dealer on 2-02-02.She had 15mi on the clock.Wed was my day off but would not drive it because it was raining.Man I can't wait for a nice day to take her for a drive.

This is just a burning question that I have: why do the new cars have 15-20 miles on them? I mean, it's a "new" car right so it should have less than 1 mile on it right?

I'm asking because I've spoken to salesmen about the Z06 and they said that it's real fast(duh!). But that also had me thinking that those dealership guys like to take those "new" cars and give it a nice beating before you buy it. Any thoughts?

You might be right but new cars have to be road tested by a technician to make sure everything is all right with the car .It would be ashame if something fell off on the way home from the dealer.

The thing is

I baby my car extremely, it's like a child to me. LOL. I mean, what if they didn't break the car in, etc...????

I'm extremely paranoid when it comes to the car. I do hope to own a Z06 one day.

Have you thought of putting it on the dyno or going to the strip to see if you can match the published numbers?

Congratulations on your new 2002 ZO6, Grumpysvette. :) Now you won't have to be grumpy anymore. You have alot of miles and smiles coming. :)

:w
Patti

BullWinkle,
The huge "storage lot" behind the Corvette plant is where some of the miles are first placed on the car, plus some are pulled from the line for dyno testing for emissions, quality control etc. etc.
I have flown over the Vette plant many times in the past, it is an awesome sight to see all those brand new Vettes out there.
They sit in the Kentucky weather rain or shine, sleet or snow, so for those who like to advertise that their car has never seen rain.... not so fast sports fans.
Then as somebody has already mentioned, they are driven during dealer prep, getting filled with gas, and unfortunately, if the car wasn't special ordered, it may even have been driven by a perspective customer or two. I'm sure that the dealers are very particular who they allow to test drive a Vette, they probably complete a credit check to make certain that the customer is eligible to be a serious buyer, not just somebody that has always wanted to drive one, but not purchase.
Then there are the sales persons. I think they usually get the opportunity to drive one of every model so they can tell the customer that they "have driven the car", and can then speak on the car's qualities.

Stan

I'm surprised that they park those outside in the heat and rain like that.

What I was saying is that I don't want to go buy a "new" car that has some hard miles on it. I want to put those hard miles on after the break in period.:D

BullWinkle,
Yes they really do park them out there, it would take a huge building to house that lot. I'm thinking it's almost a half mile long, and almost that wide. Been about 4 years since I last flew in that area. So my recollection of the size may be a bit off, but one can never forget the sight of all those brand new Vettes all in one lot.
And I know how you feel about wondering how the car was driven BEFORE you take possession. But have you ever watched them drive one off the assembly line. They drive them like "times-a-wasting"...
Stan

Not to mention I know of at least one dealer who moves his cars from one store lot to their other, not that it excites me either, but I'll admit I took mine with 19 miles. I wasn't thrilled about it, but some have the car, some don't. How many are on the road right now, maybe 10,000, including 2001.

I think the Z06 crowd is still a rare breed, and I for one am at least proud of that for now.

But believe me, I would rather watch a car roll off the truck, I have before, and its a much better feeling when your taking delivery.

Seeing one on a lot doesn't even come close! Ah, the memorys.

MRZO6,
I think the total number of ZO6s out of the factory for the two year run so far falls in the neighborhood of about 9000 +-.
The 01 run was about 5000, so far this year about 4000, those are just round numbers. I don't have the actual facts at my fingertips.
Stan

5773 2001 total production.

And I just read on another forum, '02s are at 3976 as of 12/31/01 and mine was built in Jan., so, that should be 3977 :L

I gotta tell ya, people in town are already pointing at the badge and whispering, gotta love it when an average guy can own this kinda car!

I was coming across country when I picked it up and had to stop for an oil change on a Sunday, not too many places open! The first place I found said "WE DON'T DO VETTES ANYMORE" the manager doesn't want us doing EXOTIC cars anymore. I thought, "EXOTIC"! It's a Chevy. What the &%$# is he talking about?

Then I thought, GREAT first I gotta deal with this big rear end and now if the car heard THAT, the heads are gonna grow. :L :L :L :L

That Vette Lot must be a site to see, Lucky you! :)

MrZO6,
Yes the Vette lot was awsome.. almost beyond description to another Vette enthusiast. By the way, what day in Jan was your Vette "born". Mine was 1 Dec 01, took delivery 29 Dec.
Stan

I'll have to run the VIN and get the day, All I have is 01/02.

Purchase date 02/02/02!

Interesting purchase date. Good thing it wasn't 6 June 1996, I would be suspicious.
But you would have a great excuse when stopped for speeding... OK why were you speeding, "The Devil made me do it?"

Hey,I have the identical purchase date as Mr ZO6.02-02-02.Hey vettepilot.it looks as if we live in the same neck of the woods. I actually live in wicksburg,al off of 84 west nine miles from daleville.al out side of fort rucker.I think I saw your car on 84 west the other day.Looks awesome.Mine is black and now have 350 miles on it.

Grumpysvette,
Hey small world, you probably did see me, I think there is only one other Electron Blue Vette around here, it's a Coupe, usually has a good looking blonde driving. In fact I think they live close to me off Shell Field Rd. in Ent.
I usually go to Dothan every Thursday for lab work, in fact I'm going tommorrow, (Tuesday) so that's probably when you saw me. Is yours a coupe.vert, or ZO6? Just went to your home page, I see it's a ZO6, and is that a white coupe or vert.? Couldn't see enough to distinguish it. We should get together one of these days, in fact IMA ZO6 will be down here from Connecticut around 5 March, his brother -in-law is graduating from flight school. He's driving his TR Z down, and we were hoping to take some Banner Pics for the ZO6 site. You want to join in on the pics?
Stan

BullWinkle said:
I'm surprised that they park those outside in the heat and rain like that.

What I was saying is that I don't want to go buy a "new" car that has some hard miles on it. I want to put those hard miles on after the break in period.:D

Actually, they put one hard mile on the car after it rolls out of the assembly building. They have a one mile test circuit that every car is driven on prior to being moved to the shipping lot. The circuit has rumble strips that help them determine if everything is nice and tight, and a number of tight turns.

They also do a 0mph-100mph-0mph run. It is quite impressive. When I toured the plant in August of 1998 I was allowed to ride (encouraged actually) with one of the workers whose job it is to conduct these final inspection drives. We were talking Corvettes and before I knew it he asked if I wanted to drive the car around the circuit. The only thing I did not do was the 0mph-100mph-0mph test.

What I found out from this experence was that a car that is run on the test circuit, driven to the shipping area, loaded onto the trailer for delivery to the dealer, and PDIed at the dealer should have about 3 miles on the odometer.

I asked them rather discretely if the test circuit drive didn't run counter to the owner's manual "break-in" instructions which state no heavy braking for the first 200 miles, no full-throttle operation until 500 miles, etc., and they said no.

Some cars (I watched them perform this test on one) are rolled onto a chassis dynomometer. Steel barriers pop up from the floor in front of the front wheels, and a digital display folds down in front of the windshield. The worker climbs into the drivers seat and runs the car through the gears. The digital readouts must be within manufacturing tolerances or the car is pulled off to the side and apparently inspected further.

At one point in the assembly process, they asked if I wanted to start the engine for the first time on a black coupe that had just had all the fluid levels checked. Apparently they let a lot of people do this during tours.

If you are ever in the vicinity of Bowling Green, try and get there and take the tours which I believe happen twice a day. I was lucky in that I was back there (Fort Knox, about 110 miles north) for the 4th reunion of my regiment from Vietnam. One of the guys I served with in 1968 lives in Bowling Green and is friends with the plant manager. My buddy knows I am a Corvette fan so he arranged for the private tour. It was a good thing because when I arrived the UAW strike had just ended and they had suspended public tours. There were only four of us on the tour: My wife, me, my friend John, and his buddy.

The only negative is they do not allow cameras inside. That's too bad because they build the cars in color lots (it saves time cleaning the painting equipment between colors) and it is very photogenic (not to mention impressive ) to see 12 red Vettes, 12 black ones, etc., inching their way down the assembly line. There is one point where the assembled bodies are lowered onto the chassis (two separate lines actually merge here, the bodies coming down on top of the chassis).

The paint booth is also impressive. Robots do all the painting. All of the body panels are mounted on a jig and painted together so that there is consistency in the color, shade, and hue of each panel.

At the point where the wheels are mounted, a worker uses a very cool device to install all the lug nuts at once and torque them to the proper specification. Another device actually places the wheel and tire combination onto the studs very accurately and gently.

At every stage in the assembly process, great car is taken so that no marks are made on the painted surfaces. They put special mats on any part of the body where anything could come into contact with it and mar the finish.

All the workers we spoke to seemed to be very happy to be doing what they were doing and they all seemed to take great pride in talking about the Corvette.

A trip to the NCM is a must, although to be honest, it was rather disappointing. They may have added things since August of '98 so it may be more worthwhile now, I can't say. But the gift shop is cool. You can get practically everything conceivable with a Corvette logo on it.

Oh, the cars don't sit in the shipping area very long, I was told about a day, sometimes less, before they are loaded onto tractor-trailers for delivery to dealers. Corvettes do not travel by train as do most other GM vehicles.

I can certainly understand why they conduct these tours. It made me more likely to buy a Corvette and I'm reasonably certain it has the same effect on others.

Ray

Great story,

Something every vette owner should do some day, I hope I get the chance sometime.

Let me tell ya, I could take any Z06, unless it has the twin turbo kit on it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom