Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2003 Z06 6 Speed Lost 5th, 6th and Reverse

Andy Charlson

Corvette
2003 ZO6
Just pulled into the garage, went to put it in reverse to back up, and nothing, a slight grinding like it is not fully engaging when it is all the way in. Then found same in 5th and 6th. Checked my aftermarket short throw shifter and seems to be adjusted properly. I saw the article where the guy lost his 5th and 6th gear, the snap ring moved forward and the gear stripped the splines. Could it have anything to do with the reverse lockout solonoid? Sounds like a transmission removal? The car has 35,000 miles on it. We run it hard, should we put something in there that is heavier. This is the stock unit. Can we just remove the differential and transmission without the torgue tube attached, leave it in the car?
Thanks a bunch for your help!

Just pulled into the garage, went to put it in reverse to back up, and nothing, a slight grinding like it is not fully engaging when it is all the way in. Then found same in 5th and 6th. Checked my aftermarket short throw shifter and seems to be adjusted properly. I saw the article where the guy lost his 5th and 6th gear, the snap ring moved forward and the gear stripped the splines. Could it have anything to do with the reverse lockout solonoid? Sounds like a transmission removal? The car has 35,000 miles on it. We run it hard, should we put something in there that is heavier. This is the stock unit. Can we just remove the differential and transmission without the torgue tube attached, leave it in the car?
Thanks a bunch for your help!

Thicker Fluid,Absolutely NOT!~!!
The transmission will not lubricate properly!
:eyerole:eyerole:eyerole

After several hours of studying my $2000.00 stack of Bearings,Thrust Washers,Syncro Hubs,Friction Cones,Blocker Rings,Gears and Main Shaft,I'm convinced that over about 25,000 miles thats what eventually caused the problem I had!~!!!
I went back in with Red Line D4 ATF!~!!

Yes,You can remove the transmission without removing the torque tube,
But to me it's easier to remove and replace it with the transmission!
:thumb

In all I spent about $2900.00 totel my cost in parts,But I did replace all bearings and bushings in the torque tube and went back with a GM LS7 Clutch,Pressure Plate and Flywheel!:thumb

It's 10 times the clutch the LS1 clutch ever was!~! :beer

P.S. Hope for your sake,Someone hasn't put "Royal Purple Syncromax" in it,You'll find Blue Bearings,Races and everything junk in the rear houseing!~!!:hb

If you'd like to call me,I can PM you my #.:thumb

Is there a heavier duty transmission that I can guy to put in this car?

It would be great to call you, yes, leave me your ph number some how.
Thanks!

This sounds like a reverse lockout solenoid giving you problems. I recently read a post where a gentleman was able to pull the solenoid, clean it up, re-install it and the problems went away. You may want to do some research. Might save you some big bucks.

:beer

If you run the car hard on the street in warm weather, I'd put Red Line MTL in the transmission.

If you're road racing the car, I'd use Red Line Superlight Shockproof Gear Lubricant. "SLSP" is what I run in my C5 and my C6.

As for the loss of R, 5 and 6, what did you find when you pulled the reverse lockout solenoid? If that was ok, and the shift mechanism is ok, I'd say you're looking at pulling the trans.

As the Junkie said, you have to pull the torque tube out with the trans. Get the diff off then pull the tube and the trans together,. It not an easy job for a DIY but it is possible. Make sure you properly support the tube and the trans during removal.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom