Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2004 C5 Differential Problems

B

BlueBoy

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced problems with their differential.

How about specifics - what are you experiencing? Alternatively, you could do a search of past posts to the forum.

Differential Problems

I have leaking form the seals/gaskets. Chevrolet relplaced them once, test drove it and replaced them again. I've driven it for about 5 days and they are leaking again.

HI there,
Maybe it is overfilled with lubricant.
There is a TSB that was released with a new service procedure to correct leakage of these seals.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

I have a 2003 corvette, and it has been in 6 times for an oil leak from the differential. They have replace all seals and gaskets, replaced the casing and now they are going to replace the entire differential.

Sure is frustrating, this is not the first year of production.

Keep the pressure on them.

This is very common. Mine has been in twice for leaks. Find a dealer who has experience fixing them and you may not have the problem again.:)

My Y2K leaked at 6500 miles. There was gear oil all over the left side of the suspension but the half shaft axle seal seemed to be dry. After further investigation it seemd that the gear oil was comming out of the breather and that the factory had overfilled it. I Changed the fluid added the friction additive and made sure it was at the proper level and so far so good.

Have not leaked a drop since !:beer

rearend leaking right after dealer service

My 2002 started leaking from the left side right after dealer service. I can't tell where it's coming from. When I removed the fill plug to check diff. oil level there was so much pressure behind the plug it almost blew it out of my hand. Could this be a pluged vent? Where is the vent located on the rearend housing? After I released the preassure it stopped leaking. I live at 7,200 ft. elevation. After driving down to sea level and putting about 150 miles on the car there were no leaks; dry. When I returned home to 7,200 ft. and an additional 110 miles it was leaking again. Anybody out there have this problem? Any help would be great, it's not going back to the dealer. Thanks to everyone, Doug.

This is one of the most common problems with C5s. Mine went back to the dealer about 5 times. They finally called GM was told to replace the entire differential (under extended warranty). No problems since then (Nov 2007). Good luck in getting yours stopped.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom