Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2005 C6 Battery Drain

That don't look good.

Same here, 13 months last week and only one DBS so far with no reason. Just dead but was able to charge it and go, seldom sits more that a day or two. No reason to tell the dealer, the first thing they are going to say is "Did you have it in reverse?" like the other 4,252 times you did it were all accidents.

Yesterday I stopped at the hardware for a screw and thought I had one more than I wanted. Came out and the interior lights were all lit up and it didn't beep at me when I went in the store. No DIC message just the lack of the beep and lights on that shouldn't have been. Had to figure out how to get all of the lights turned off and recheck everything when I parked it for the night. It's like that 300-pound guy that keeps bumping your seat back on a flight to Europe. You know it's coming again you just don't know when and how long before you lose it.

Will GM fix the '05, doubtful, it would be nice to chat with the numbnutz that set it up that way in the first place. I'm sure it could have been changed for the loss of sales and the warning hang tag costs.

On the other hand it's raining today and I won't get to see 100 + for a while and I'm in withdrawal.:( :( :(

This may seem obvious, but did you check to see that you didn't accidentally push in the interior light/dimmer button? That commonly happens and is something I always watch for. Good thing is that, after 20 minutes, the battery saver feature will kick in and shut them off. At least that works.

It would be nice if GM had an answer to this dead battery thing. I'm afraid all 2005 C6's with the MN6 are at risk for at least one episode of this.

You mean obvious like the other 4,251 times I was able to get in and out without help? If so why didn't the thing lock up and toot its little horn that time or scold me in the DIC? Of course I don't know if it was locked because you can't tell, just like the spring loaded light switches that don't tell you what it just did?

Whatever, it does some weird things every now and then and I can't explain them. Everyone has and answer as to why you didn't to it right but in the cases were I been able to recreate the problem Goomer always looks at me and says, "Well gooley Ant Bee, ain't that sumpton".

Like the column lock they may do something after the C7 comes out or they might just go under first.

P.S. Yes I've read the manual and have the service manual (haven't got the first one of three read yet from the C5).:)

There are no obvious answers here...frustrating. I just spoke with my dealer. The car appears to be totally fine...even the battery is good and holding a full charge. No error codes to work with and no measurable parasitic drains. That's what I expected. I love this car, but I sure could do without some of the electronics they built into it.

rambo said:
Are the dead batteries limited to C6's with 6-spd manual transmissions?

rambo
And it would seem only year model 2005. (At least that is consistent with posts I have seem on three forums, so far).

I have had a personal, early, and active interest in DBS, as I specifically started out my own Corvette hunt by looking for an '05 MN6. Unfortunately (or in retrospect, maybe fortunately!) the dealer, Lane Hagerdorn of Reliable Chevrolet in Springfield Missouri messed up my order, and never made amends, so I was back in the hunt. By the time I found an excellent deal on my 2006 MN6 locally at Maroone Chevy, a few miles from the house, not one thousand five hundred miles away... the under MSRP deal I closed was on an '06, not an '05.

I will post back here if my own car ever experiences DBS, but I am pretty confident that some fix, associated with removal of the park in reverse requirement, has been applied to current models. I'm sorry that I have no hard data or inside information to support that conjecture, but as more and more 2006's roll out, and there is no similar outcry as there has been on the '05s... :dance

:beer:

self1 said:
By the time I found an excellent deal on my 2006 MN6 locally at Maroone Chevy, a few miles from the house, not one thousand five hundred miles away... the under MSRP deal I closed was on an '06, not an '05.

So tell us, what is the shut down procedure on the 2006 C6 with the 6 speed??

Dad said:
self1 said:
So tell us, what is the shut down procedure on the 2006 C6 with the 6 speed??
For me, it is to throw it in reverse, just as I have always done with manual transmissions since I was a teenaged kid. But the main thing to me is that you don't seem to have to, and it clearly won't drain your battery if you should fail to do so. :cool

For instance, my 2006 did not come with the big red tag on the shifter warning about the absolute need to leave in reverse or catastrophe will follow :L.

Howver, the 'offical' word, I would suppose, is in the the owner's manual.

P/N 06CORVETTE Rev. A First Printing, pg 2-24, "Stopping Your Engine" says:

"If your vehicle has a manual transmission, move the shift lever to REVERSE (R)" (Bold in original)

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom