Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2005 C6 or 2006 C6?

S

Scrambler85

Okay I have waited a long time to finally buy my first Vette. I am hoping the one that I will buy I will keep for a long time if not forever. I have always been told and preached myself to NEVER buy the first year of a new car.

Still I can't wait...

So I guess I am asking what you guys think. Go ahead and get it now or wait until next year to see if they make any drastic changes to make the C6 even better?

If I wait does anyone know what new colors or options the Chevy minds are thinking about? Will the packages be set the way they are now?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to make a "mistake" and buy my dream car now and then be disappointed next year.

Thanks!

I have always heard don't buy the first model year, to let the quarks out. I am not sure if anything will be different as far as options colors or HP. Sorry, either or I doubt you could go wrong.

If you want to get an automatic then I would hold out for a 2006 since I heard that they are coming out with a 6 speed auto.

Scrambler85 said:
Okay I have waited a long time to finally buy my first Vette. I am hoping the one that I will buy I will keep for a long time if not forever. I have always been told and preached myself to NEVER buy the first year of a new car.

Still I can't wait...

So I guess I am asking what you guys think. Go ahead and get it now or wait until next year to see if they make any drastic changes to make the C6 even better?

If I wait does anyone know what new colors or options the Chevy minds are thinking about? Will the packages be set the way they are now?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to make a "mistake" and buy my dream car now and then be disappointed next year.

Thanks!

First year models almost always have minor problems (87 GTA).Every model gets better and better.Personally I didn't mind the minor flaws with my TA.......I really would like the automatic 6 speed.Lets just hope I can hold off 'till then.

Hold off!

Hi

I bought the last year of the C4 and l'm thrilled with it but as far as the C6, l would not even think about buying the first year.

The second year will have many upgrades that will be worth the wait.

Alan

Best deal for the money would be a used 06 model, but nobody could wait that long! Lease one now and then when that lease runs out, upgrade!

-

If you can stand it. . . 2006 Z06! :D

Money aside, that's what I'd do. . .

Speaking of which, what do y'all think I can get for a healthy kidney these days? My wife's got two and, as much as she ****es me off she really doesn't need the output from both, eh? :D

C6 First year or next year

I thought the same way, wait or buy. Prices will do nothing but rise. They have already risen on the base by $1,000, and I see no trend downward. GM put a lot of time an $ into this new Corvette and those (like myself) will buy them now and ENJOY the RIDE! I waited until 96 to buy the last of the C4's looking for perfection, but decided to buy the C6 NOW. If they make improvements, as all car mfgs do, then within 2-3 years when your due for a new one you will have had the best there is to buy now and still have a great trade in or a fast seller as the body style is due to last until 2012 or so I hear. I will soon have to part with my 32000 mile C4 and that is going to be a hard rock to swallow as it has been nothing but perfect, except for a few quirky creature feature comforts. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

invinceablevett said:
First year models almost always have minor problems (87 GTA).Every model gets better and better.Personally I didn't mind the minor flaws with my TA.......I really would like the automatic 6 speed.Lets just hope I can hold off 'till then.

I have no hard evidence that the '06 auto will be 6 spd, but they clearly overcame the power problem as the supercharged Caddie STS-V is going to market with a 6 spd auto. Once I read this I assumed that it would adapted for the rear placement in the C6 second model year. If its logical does that make it inevitable? GM history is not on the enthusiats' side on this, but maybe GM has indeed changed. The manufacturing process of the C6 doesn't appear to be radically different than the '04 C5--buy the '05 6spd stick and be done with it!

The 6 speed the vett is getting is a new truck transmission 6L80E and will be out in the trucks for 06 The trans that the Caddy has is different.

redvett said:
The 6 speed the vett is getting is a new truck transmission 6L80E and will be out in the trucks for 06 The trans that the Caddy has is different.
Truck tranie for torque reasons?

I have to agree, don't buy the first year, that way I can have it. This thing has been nothing but a pain, do you know I have to get out of it 2 or 3 times a day to refill the tank. While the "don't buy it the first year" crowd get to plan on driving the best Corvette every, I'm driving it. First year problems so far, we had some more snow that has cut out 3 days that I didn't drive the C6, when will GM ever get that problem fixed. They should forget about the paddle shifter and work on weather control.

Hey, Chicken Little, was that another piece of sky falling????

Don't forget that you shouldn't buy one that is built on Friday either, or before a Holiday. There could be a problem there also because some of the parts on the one you do buy could be built on Friday or before a Holiday. That leads to another problem, do you know all of the Holidays in the countries that builds the parts for GM? The suppliers change at GM, when would you know if it was the first year that they build parts for the Corvette?
:eyerole

Calm down there DAD

Dad said:
Hey, Chicken Little, was that another piece of sky falling????

Don't forget that you shouldn't buy one that is built on Friday either, or before a Holiday. There could be a problem there also because some of the parts on the one you do buy could be built on Friday or before a Holiday. That leads to another problem, do you know all of the Holidays in the countries that builds the parts for GM? The suppliers change at GM, when would you know if it was the first year that they build parts for the Corvette?
:eyerole

Don't get your blood in a boil there, Dad! I was simply asking a question. The people on this forum all seem to be very knowledgable and plugged in to the Corvette powers that be. I wanted to see if I was making the right choice in finally ordering my long-awaited Vette now or waiting to see what little bugs or new options they may offer in the next year.

Didn't mean to offend those that bought them now. Just want to make sure I make a wise choice.

Hey Scrambler85 you didn't offend me, and I wasn't trying to pick at what you said. I was taking exception to those that want to keep old paradigms going. There's very little value to thinking that "the first year is a problem year for new cars". Some of that I tried to point out by mentioning that there are a number of things that influence the build of an automobile all through its production life. One of those is start up problems but to say that they start at the beginning and end in 12 months is folly. A case could be made just the other way, everybody is trying harder to get the new one right. It can only help them to get it right the first time, and that goes all the way back to the first line being put on the design sketch.

I tend to look at a Corvette as a fun car to drive and if I don't have it I can't drive a fun car. Will it have a problem, maybe, but who cares. It will get fixed and I can start driving it again. As a side note the worst Corvette I ever had was a 1963. Take a good look at that car and see what they were dealing with as new to GM. Now take a look at the C6 and tell me what is new and just not a little different than the C5. There are things I don't like about the C6 but many more that I like. All of those things I would be missing if I had waited for the bugs to get worked out.

There are many people that will look at buying a car allot different than you do, so what good is their opinion. You have a very unique life just as they do and that is what should make up your mind, not me or some other biased opinion.

;)

Actually I hope my opinion gets you to buy it now and start enjoying it sooner.

:) :)

Now where did I put my sky catcher??????????????

:L with everybody waiting on "the second year" maybe I'll be able to get a good deal on a leftover, I have a 97, there are a few small issues but nothing that keeps me from enjoying (driving) it.

And another thing!

I had an early 1998 and I got cold feet about getting the C6 so I traded for a 2004. Nice car, but not that much better, if any at all, than the first C5. There were a number of improvements but the basic car felt and performed the same, kind of a let down. In that light I now think it was foolish to buy the last model to get the best of a series, that is unless you intend to keep it until 2056. My guess is that in 2056 at a ripe old age of 117 I'd op for the automatic.

:lou

Cool Dad! I am leaning toward getting one right now anyway. I have waited long enough and now I have a car allowance from my new job. I have been there since September and didn't want to get in over my head if I left too soon. I think I will be there for a while so hopefully the Vette will be paid off sooner than I thought. Now I just need to settle on a color. That is truly the hardest part! LOL!

Dealers will still be writing orders for the 2005 until the end of June, so I would assume that a 2006 could not be ordered before then. I would also guess that spec sheets, colors, options and prices will not be available until sometime in June. 2006 is set to start in production at BG on September 9.
I am hanging in there for early museum delivery on a 2006.

Scrambler85 said:
Cool Dad! I am leaning toward getting one right now anyway. I have waited long enough and now I have a car allowance from my new job. I have been there since September and didn't want to get in over my head if I left too soon. I think I will be there for a while so hopefully the Vette will be paid off sooner than I thought. Now I just need to settle on a color. That is truly the hardest part! LOL!

call me if u r looking and i will send you a brochure. We are selling the c6 at reduced prices where as in Fl I dont think they are yet. We are actually selling some C6's to Fl dealers at sticker just so they can have em yet to an individual we will discount the car. Give me a call and I will gladly answer any questions you may have
MIKE

Scrambler85 said:
Don't get your blood in a boil there, Dad! I was simply asking a question. The people on this forum all seem to be very knowledgable and plugged in to the Corvette powers that be. I wanted to see if I was making the right choice in finally ordering my long-awaited Vette now or waiting to see what little bugs or new options they may offer in the next year.

Didn't mean to offend those that bought them now. Just want to make sure I make a wise choice.
=========================================================
I wouldn't buy the first year of a modle Vette for all the tea in China...they are crapola..so many problems you can't even count them...everyone I know is bringing them in for repairs...by 2006 many of the "bugs" will be solved...whoever tells you that the first year of a modle is ok is in denial....Wait for a 2006 and you will be much happier...look at past history with the first year of any modle Vette..they all had so many bugs that were solved the second year of the modle...Good luck!

First year Vette buyers are GM's research and development team...:L :L

btw...I know from experience with the C3, C4 and C5...I still have them and they were never the first year of the modle....:D
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom