Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2005 with 2,500 miles

Dom C

Corvette
2005 Mag Red Z51 MN6
I just purchased an 05 manual that has 2,500 miles since it was put in service in November 2004.

Dealer tells me they did the routine checks but the car doesnt need anything just yet. Any suggestions on maintenance I should have looked at since the car has low mileage for 18 months in service?

How about something simple - STP Fuel Treatment with the next fill-up premium to clean the gas system?

Thanks
Dom C

Has the engine oil and filter been changed? Thats along time for the original oil. If your going to use a fuel treatment use a bottle of Techron or GM fuel treatment part #88861011.

Are you happy with the feel when shifting on cool mornings? If not you might want to change the trans fluid to Redline D4 or the new Dexron VI

Change the oil and put in a bottle of Techron and drive, drive drive. BUT remember that your VIN should make you in the middle of the crank bolt problem.

OK, You got me

catbert said:
Change the oil and put in a bottle of Techron and drive, drive drive. BUT remember that your VIN should make you in the middle of the crank bolt problem.

I have heard of the dead battery syndrome, so far I am not forgetting to keep the car in reverse.

You got me on the crank bolt problem, what is that about? How can I tell if I am affected?

Dom C said:
I have heard of the dead battery syndrome, so far I am not forgetting to keep the car in reverse.

You got me on the crank bolt problem, what is that about? How can I tell if I am affected?

Do a search here or on the Corvette Forum - see this first: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/question.php?qstId=543 . It's a long story, but the bottom line is that the early series of early 2005s are prone to spin or lose their crankshaft pulley causing a lot of subsequent things to happen under the hood - none of which are good. The fix required a special repair kit, which in turn requires a special tool to install. How do I know this? Take a guess, but be aware that the pulley may cause you to extend any random trip by up to 5 days...even if the trip is to Bowling Green, where the car was born.:mad Your dealer has the TSB on the topic issued in early 2005, but don't expect any help, GM's take is to call them WHEN it fails, and they will send out a tow truck. GM says it is a minor problem, but I think they are - how can I put this.......lying. VINs affected are up to 11,039.

Mr.Cool said:
Has the engine oil and filter been changed? Thats along time for the original oil. If your going to use a fuel treatment use a bottle of Techron or GM fuel treatment part #88861011.

Are you happy with the feel when shifting on cool mornings? If not you might want to change the trans fluid to Redline D4 or the new Dexron VI

:_rock Don't forget about your rear end differential drain and change fluid in that too.
Does the Redline ATF D4 meet the specs for the Dexron VI?
The parts store I buy Redline from told me Redline doesn't have anything that meets those specs for that transmission. They do have Redline 75w/90 synthetic gear oil.
I called up Redline and they told me that the D4 ATF meets the Dexron IV specs. So what gives? Who is correct?:W
Amsoil doesn't have a transmission equivalent to Dexron IV but Amsoil does have the 75w/90 extreme synthetic gear oil.
So it is Redline 75w/90 gear oil vs. Amsoil 75w/90 extreme gear oil or if anyone out there has some other suggestions just to get those shavings out of the rear end diff and automatic A-4 transmission.:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom