Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2006 Z06 News - Will Shock You!

corvetteconti

From a good source, now we wait to see how good.
I was told 2006 Z06 to have for sure 500HP:)
But the interesting news was that they are to have a second Version of the Z called the Z06-R...yes to look just like the GTS series race car and it would have 550HP!:cool He also mentioned a 6 speed paddle shift with a clutch for that car:confused , like I said, we'll see.....thought I would share the info as many of you have paseed on things to me...
Thumbs UP!
Rick

Great information if it comes to life.

Thanks ...

JB

corvetteconti said:
they are to have a second Version of the Z called the Z06-R...yes to look just like the GTS series race car and it would have 550HP!:cool Rick
oh man...just when I thought I had fought back the urge for a c6. that would be awesome.

Is it wrong to want JUST the engine?

That sounds pretty awesome. Looks like they want to get into that 500HP mark like the Ford GT and the Viper.

UB2 SLOW said:
Where did you get that info from?
can't say, but I would not have posted if it were not from someone I trust...I'm questionable about this paddle shift thing...but I'm on board with the other stuff....I'll keep you informed and if I get lucky, I'll have a pic next week!

I wish GM would offer a dsg or zeroshift option on the Corvette...not just a manumatic for the coupe and vert next year..

The rest of the car sounds awesome...but I would only even dream of buying a new z with the zeroshift or DSG option available..

Its deal breaker for me..

I want that technology in my corvette..

One way or the other even if I have to have a Zeroshift installed in my present Z (projected availability date for mod is 2006 here in the states...)

WOuld be cool if the corvette team went deep with installing zeroshift right from the factory for the highest performance version.

Baffled

JBsC5 said:
I wish GM would offer a dsg or zeroshift option on the Corvette...not just a manumatic for the coupe and vert next year..

The rest of the car sounds awesome...but I would only even dream of buying a new z with the zeroshift or DSG option available..

Its deal breaker for me..

I want that technology in my corvette..

One way or the other even if I have to have a Zeroshift installed in my present Z (projected availability date for mod is 2006 here in the states...)

WOuld be cool if the corvette team went deep with installing zeroshift right from the factory for the highest performance version.
The idea of ANYTHING other than a full manual transmission in a sports car is just baffling to me. The entire reason for being and purpose of sports cars is for enjoyment of DRIVING. Part of that experience is developing and honing the technique manually shifting the transmission. Yes, electronically controlled, automatically shifting manual transmissions are faster. Yes paddle shifting has milisecond shifting, yes technology is a wonderful thing when it improves an experience. However, very few people will benefit on a race track from the miliseconds saved in shifting by using a paddle shift because a miniscule number of most sports cars bought of the showroom floor will EVER be stripped down and built into pure race cars by drivers good enough that saving miliseconds per shift is going to make a difference for. If Chevrolet introduces these systems on upcoming Corvettes, my only hope is that for those of us who still enjoy the true art of driving will still have a true manual transmission to choose from. Shifting is becoming a lost art in a lazy society more concerned about looking good while driving and drinking their coffee/talking on the cell/reading the newspaper/putting on make-up/etc all at the same time. The self involved people who don't understand the wave are also the same ones who buy a Corvette to look good and could care less how it is driven, and typically don't know how or are too lazy to drive a manual. Automatics and paddle shifts are great for those that for a physical reason cannot drive a true manual yet still want to be involved with driving their cars. Leave the F1 style paddle shifts on the race course, or least make it and the automatics as an option, not the standard for Corvette (has the C4 and C5s were all standard automatics). Ok, that's my rant... I'm done.

I agree with lov-n-life. Sports cars need manual transmissions. The automatics are for touring.

DRTH VTR said:
I agree with lov-n-life. Sports cars need manual transmissions. The automatics are for touring.
Me too make it and automatics an option. From bits and pieces I have picked up on a recent tour of the plant the Z06 frame will be aluminum, with a 427 (7 liter) which will be built in the new "high performance engine shop" recently built by GM for building High performance engines by hand. (that has been reported in several magazines) should be a worth the wait.

CorvetteConti,

He great to see you on the board as we haven't talked in some time. I also like the news.

Kurt in Santa Rosa.

OK, bad typing. Should have started "Hey,..." My apologies.

Kurt
kfehling said:
CorvetteConti,

He great to see you on the board as we haven't talked in some time. I also like the news.

Kurt in Santa Rosa.

Just the way I appreciate active handling and ABS braking, I would appreciate Zeroshift or DSG if it becomes an option for the C6 Z06.

Sure its fun self shifting ...just as it was fun braking at the limit prior to ABS braking...or hanging the car at the limit without active handling...

So I appreciate various technology advances such as Zeroshift or DSG for what it can offer.

I still remember sports car enthusiasts were against Active Handling (and ABS)
still offering the choice for both manual all sequential shift technology just makes sense.

The added benefit to drive with ease in the occasional 3 hour bumper to bumper traffic is just added benefit.

lov-n-life said:
The idea of ANYTHING other than a full manual transmission in a sports car is just baffling to me. The entire reason for being and purpose of sports cars is for enjoyment of DRIVING. Part of that experience is developing and honing the technique manually shifting the transmission. Yes, electronically controlled, automatically shifting manual transmissions are faster. Yes paddle shifting has milisecond shifting, yes technology is a wonderful thing when it improves an experience. However, very few people will benefit on a race track from the miliseconds saved in shifting by using a paddle shift because a miniscule number of most sports cars bought of the showroom floor will EVER be stripped down and built into pure race cars by drivers good enough that saving miliseconds per shift is going to make a difference for. If Chevrolet introduces these systems on upcoming Corvettes, my only hope is that for those of us who still enjoy the true art of driving will still have a true manual transmission to choose from. Shifting is becoming a lost art in a lazy society more concerned about looking good while driving and drinking their coffee/talking on the cell/reading the newspaper/putting on make-up/etc all at the same time. The self involved people who don't understand the wave are also the same ones who buy a Corvette to look good and could care less how it is driven, and typically don't know how or are too lazy to drive a manual. Automatics and paddle shifts are great for those that for a physical reason cannot drive a true manual yet still want to be involved with driving their cars. Leave the F1 style paddle shifts on the race course, or least make it and the automatics as an option, not the standard for Corvette (has the C4 and C5s were all standard automatics). Ok, that's my rant... I'm done.

I'll second that!

vettepilot

lov-n-life said:

I definately agree but if the racers were to have the option of a factory installed paddle shift, that would be awesome.

corvetteconti said:
From a good source, now we wait to see how good.
I was told 2006 Z06 to have for sure 500HP:)
But the interesting news was that they are to have a second Version of the Z called the Z06-R...yes to look just like the GTS series race car and it would have 550HP!:cool He also mentioned a 6 speed paddle shift with a clutch for that car:confused , like I said, we'll see.....thought I would share the info as many of you have paseed on things to me...
Thumbs UP!
Rick
I would hope by 2006 that 500 HP would be in the Z06. But how about the 2005 model coming out in Jan 2005?
Now about the rest of this stuff, is that for MY 2006 or MY 2005?

Might make a huge difference in how great that news really is....

If 2005, great news... if 2006 nice to know news but too far away to get excited now.

vettepilot

AFAIK only info is being released in January 2005 for the '06 MY Z06. The car itself will not be available. This will be just like last year when GM released the specs on the '05 MY C6. Production will likely start for the C6 Z06 next fall. So it will be another year before we would see one in a showroom.

As to the news posted here, I personally am skeptical on much of this. While 500hp would be nice, I would expect to see around to 475. As to the transmission I'm with lov-n-life and keep it manual.

Leon

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom