Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2008 ZO6 Upgraded!

S

steve0202

Just wanted to let any ZO6 owners know of an awesome upgrade I just completed on my 2008 ZO6. I had the Corvette Center out of Newington ,CT do the work. If any of you know of this place and Ray Zisa, the owner, you know it is one of the top Corvette shops in the country. Ray installed performance headers by Melrose, called Smooth Flow. He also installed a new Vararam air intake. The car was then taken to the local Dyno-Tune shop to be tuned and dyno'd. The car was rated at 625 HP at the motor and charted on the Dyno at 501 HP at the rear wheels! It was an incredible performance upgrade. I cannot begin to tell you what power like that feels like...like nothing I have ever owned..and I have had many vettes including the famed big blocks. The new Z just keeps getting higher and higher on my list of world class sports cars.

Not to be a smart azz, but I'm curious about that driveline loss you are using at 20%. Is this correct for the Z?? I was thinking a cam swap in conjunction with your mods. might get you 625hp at the crank. The Katech "street attack" is rated at 600hp with alot more lift.

Explanation:Upgrade

Not to be a smart azz, but I'm curious about that driveline loss you are using at 20%. Is this correct for the Z?? I was thinking a cam swap in conjunction with your mods. might get you 625hp at the crank. The Katech "street attack" is rated at 600hp with alot more lift.

Actually 20% is not overstated, your basic ZO6 out of the factory is 505HP at the motor and 380HP at the rear wheels. Hence the same ratios can be applied when you get 500HP at the rear wheels, the car is pushing approx 625 at the motor. I have the dyno sheet to prove it.

Actually 20% is not overstated, your basic ZO6 out of the factory is 505HP at the motor and 380HP at the rear wheels. Hence the same ratios can be applied when you get 500HP at the rear wheels, the car is pushing approx 625 at the motor. I have the dyno sheet to prove it.
More like 453rwhp at the wheels is what I've seen for a typical stock C6Z dyno. Your numbers just don't add up saying 380hp at the wheels is what a stock C6Z makes??? A C5Z with a aftermarket intake and long tube headers might make around 380rwhp. Why don't you just post the sheet so we can see what you are talking about. Thanks.

So then, what does this mean?
DYNOPULLALIGNMENT002.jpg

It means that Dave Hill was right about his guarantee that these engines will be SAE rated for at least 505hp. Norty that looks like that and some. :upthumbs

Thanks Todd

More like 453rwhp at the wheels is what I've seen for a typical stock C6Z dyno. Your numbers just don't add up saying 380hp at the wheels is what a stock C6Z makes??? A C5Z with a aftermarket intake and long tube headers might make around 380rwhp. Why don't you just post the sheet so we can see what you are talking about. Thanks.

Todd,
I went back to the Dyno shop, and the info I got from them originally is what I was posting based on their experience. However, when I went back this week, there was conflicting information on the real numbers at the crank. The car definitely is 501 at the rear wheels, (I'll try to post the dyno sheet later) but the HP at the crank is probably more like 560-570 range which is approx a 12% difference. I apologize for the initial info. That's what happens when you rely on other people's info. Bottom line, the car is super fast and alot of fun!
Best regards,
Steve

SAE?

It means that Dave Hill was right about his guarantee that these engines will be SAE rated for at least 505hp. Norty that looks like that and some. :upthumbs

What does SAE rated actually mean? If Norty's dyno came back at 468HP, where does the 505 come in?

What does SAE rated actually mean? If Norty's dyno came back at 468HP, where does the 505 come in?
Well I think Norty's numbers are STD PWR and not SAE, because most dyno sheets specify SAE at the top. SAE numbers would be around 3% less than the STD PWR numbers. If Norty's numbers are SAE, then those are slightly higher then usual, but not totally unheard of. I believe you are somewhere in the SAE 486rwhp range, or STD. PWR. 501rwhp with those headers which is alot of power and nothing to be anything, but proud of. Check your dyno sheet for SAE or STD. PWR. I'd say +570 crank hp. The stock 505hp is SAE rated and certified. The actual output in reality is more like 530-540hp at the crank where most have dynoed at. Dave Hill made the decision, because some other manufacturer claimed hp numbers that were way off and they had alot of unhappy, pizzed off customers. He didn't want that to happen here. Here is the basic SAE rap found online below.

Power and torque certification provide a means for a manufacturer to assure a customer that the engine they purchase delivers the advertised performance. This SAE Standard has been written to provide manufacturers with a method of certifying the power of engines to SAE J1349 or SAE J1995. Document SAE J2723 specifies the procedure to be used for a manufacturer to certify the net power and torque rating of a production engine according to SAE J1349 or the gross engine power of a production engine according to SAE J1995. Manufacturers who advertise their engine power and torque ratings as Certified to SAE J1349 or SAE J1995 shall follow this procedure. Certification of engine power and torque to SAE J1349 or SAE J1995 is voluntary, however, this power certification process is mandatory for those advertising power ratings as "Certified to SAE J1349".

General Motors has become the first manufacturer to certify an engine's power and torque ratings using a newly adopted SAE standard (J2723), James Queen, GM Vice President, Global Engineering, announced during his keynote address at the SAE World Congress and Exhibition in April 2005. The world's largest automaker plans to certify all of its engines to the voluntary standard, and is encouraging its competitors to do the same. The LS7 engine for the 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 was certified under the new standard this month. The 7.0-L V8 unit produces 505 hp (377 kW) at 6300 rpm and 470 lboft (637 Nom) at 4800 rpm. "The new voluntary SAE power and torque certification procedure ensures fair, accurate ratings for horsepower and torque as it uses third-party certification," said Queen. "SAE technical standards level the playing field, and this certification procedure is just the latest example of the value SAE has offered over the past century." To tout power and torque ratings as "SAE-certified," engine manufacturers must have an SAE qualified witness watch over the entire testing procedure to ensure that it is conducted in conformity to SAE standard J1349. Third-party witnessing is the main provision of J2723. An existing SAE standard, J1349, spells out how the actual testing is to be done. J1349 was updated last year to eliminate some ambiguities that allowed engine makers to cite power and torque ratings higher than the engine's actual capabilities. Engine makers are free to cite power and torque figures drived from testing conducted outside the scope of the SAE standards, but they may not claim the figures are SAE-certifed. "We feel that both the consumer and industry are well served by having accurate, consistent ratings from all manufacturers," said David Lancaster, a Technical Fellow in GM Powertrain and Chairman of the SAE Engine Power Test Code Committee that updated J1349 and wrote J2723. Data from a wide array of parameters (e.g., air:fuel ratio) will be collected during testing conducted to the SAE standards. SAE will create a database and offer it to industry in different packages and at different price points.

501 SAE at the wheels is going to be between 610 or 589 SAE at the flywheel, depending on whether you accept .82 or .85 for the parasitic loss correction. No one's using .80.

About 100 horses for an LS7 with headers, intake and the right calibration is maybe a big high but certainly not unreasonable. GM left a lot on the table with the LS7.

Tell me, does this engine have cats? If so are they stock or aftermarket?

SAE info

Well I think Norty's numbers are STD PWR and not SAE, because most dyno sheets specify SAE at the top. SAE numbers would be around 3% less than the STD PWR numbers. If Norty's numbers are SAE, then those are slightly higher then usual, but not totally unheard of. I believe you are somewhere in the SAE 486rwhp range, or STD. PWR. 501rwhp with those headers which is alot of power and nothing to be anything, but proud of. Check your dyno sheet for SAE or STD. PWR. I'd say +570 crank hp. The stock 505hp is SAE rated and certified. The actual output in reality is more like 530-540hp at the crank where most have dynoed at. Dave Hill made the decision, because some other manufacturer claimed hp numbers that were way off and they had alot of unhappy, pizzed off customers. He didn't want that to happen here. Here is the basic SAE rap found online below.

Power and torque certification provide a means for a manufacturer to assure a customer that the engine they purchase delivers the advertised performance. This SAE Standard has been written to provide manufacturers with a method of certifying the power of engines to SAE J1349 or SAE J1995. Document SAE J2723 specifies the procedure to be used for a manufacturer to certify the net power and torque rating of a production engine according to SAE J1349 or the gross engine power of a production engine according to SAE J1995. Manufacturers who advertise their engine power and torque ratings as Certified to SAE J1349 or SAE J1995 shall follow this procedure. Certification of engine power and torque to SAE J1349 or SAE J1995 is voluntary, however, this power certification process is mandatory for those advertising power ratings as "Certified to SAE J1349".

General Motors has become the first manufacturer to certify an engine's power and torque ratings using a newly adopted SAE standard (J2723), James Queen, GM Vice President, Global Engineering, announced during his keynote address at the SAE World Congress and Exhibition in April 2005. The world's largest automaker plans to certify all of its engines to the voluntary standard, and is encouraging its competitors to do the same. The LS7 engine for the 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 was certified under the new standard this month. The 7.0-L V8 unit produces 505 hp (377 kW) at 6300 rpm and 470 lboft (637 Nom) at 4800 rpm. "The new voluntary SAE power and torque certification procedure ensures fair, accurate ratings for horsepower and torque as it uses third-party certification," said Queen. "SAE technical standards level the playing field, and this certification procedure is just the latest example of the value SAE has offered over the past century." To tout power and torque ratings as "SAE-certified," engine manufacturers must have an SAE qualified witness watch over the entire testing procedure to ensure that it is conducted in conformity to SAE standard J1349. Third-party witnessing is the main provision of J2723. An existing SAE standard, J1349, spells out how the actual testing is to be done. J1349 was updated last year to eliminate some ambiguities that allowed engine makers to cite power and torque ratings higher than the engine's actual capabilities. Engine makers are free to cite power and torque figures drived from testing conducted outside the scope of the SAE standards, but they may not claim the figures are SAE-certifed. "We feel that both the consumer and industry are well served by having accurate, consistent ratings from all manufacturers," said David Lancaster, a Technical Fellow in GM Powertrain and Chairman of the SAE Engine Power Test Code Committee that updated J1349 and wrote J2723. Data from a wide array of parameters (e.g., air:fuel ratio) will be collected during testing conducted to the SAE standards. SAE will create a database and offer it to industry in different packages and at different price points.

Thanks again Todd, and sorry again for the initial HP quotes, it is nice to know that I can come to this site and have knowledgeable people like yourself to verify information. Although I have had alot of Vettes, I'm still learning every day.

Thanks again Todd, and sorry again for the initial HP quotes, it is nice to know that I can come to this site and have knowledgeable people like yourself to verify information. Although I have had alot of Vettes, I'm still learning every day.
I think we are all still learning about these cars :) I try to stay involved as much as possible. Hib is correct about the drivetrain loss. I usually use .85 for the drivetrain loss. If it were an automatic shift, .80 might be the case. I'm building a SDPC L92 427 right now and I'm doing everything I can to make sure It makes +600hp at the crank while keeping it civilized. The cam selection is going to be critical. I read alot of material from different sources and have put together a selection based on Katech's secret cam profiles through the tid bits of information they have divulged in different magazines and articles. It has given me a clearer picture of the recipe for making great power without losing drivability. Good luck with yours and keep modding. Thanks for the kind words, I don't know any more than the next guy, I just try to maintain a constant level of keeping up with it all.

I've seen numbers on this particular dyno from 440 to 480hp from various 2006 Z06's. (As a side note, there ws a Z that pulled 425hp so they went looking. They found a shop rag stuffed into the MAF!) It then pulled 475hp. (teds427 was much happier then!)

Correct. If you do the math for BSFC for a N/A gasoline powered LS7, or run simulation programs for the LS7, or just divide the % PT loss into engine HP you will be more accurate. The 20% was obviously a guess, it is so far off. Most dyno'd engines are right at spec at 505 HP. This can be confirmed by working backwards from a stock dyno to confirm 13-15% PT loss. Don't assume any miracles there.

I've seen numbers on this particular dyno from 440 to 480hp from various 2006 Z06's. (As a side note, there ws a Z that pulled 425hp so they went looking. They found a shop rag stuffed into the MAF!) It then pulled 475hp. (teds427 was much happier then!)
Sounds like that car was on the rag. ;) The dyno shop I use at DEZ racing in Seekonk Ma. is called "The dyno of broken dreams." named by "Slohawk." It never gives anything away. If your making big power down there, she must be a real ***** minus the rag ofcourse. :L

Corvette Center is one of the finest around. No question about it.
Ray has a passion for Corvette that is tough to match.
Glad to hear of a good service experience.
Allthebest, c4c5

also wondering

does this engine have cats? If so are they stock or aftermarket?
Any chance the mods are 50 state legal?

Quite possibly a new C6Z owner. I have one in my sights.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom