Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2012 Ford Police Interceptor unveiled

Maine state police now have un-marked white Mustangs with blue GS stripes .Can't wait to race one across the boarder.:beer

In New Jersey the state police that did GS Parkway and Turnpike duty used to rent cars from Hertz.

The favored "ride" of the rental fleet was the Shelby GT 350-H .. :cool this was like in 67'ish ..

Picture yourself coming alongside a Shelby in your FI Vette and tell me you could resist?

My aunt was the assistant manager and said they also liked a nice Riviera or Electra 225 and would put a business suit on that little hangar hook thinigie and a business hat would be tossed on the back shelf.

I'll never understand why General Motors gave up producing the Chevy Caprice police special. I don't think there was a single Police department in my part of Pennsylvania that didn't have the entire fleet of Chevy's. I'm not sure about of late, but back in 1999 -2006 New York State Police had a number of black Camaro Z-28's as southern state parkway interceptors ! They were low slung and if you weren't careful you'd never see the blue and red lights mounted on top. :w

A few counties around here had the Taurus (SHO Variant) in the early 90's. While they were quick the transmission was the very weak link.... They were quickly moved from beat cars to the traffic encorcement and detective units... Looking at the pics from AUTOBLOG the seats and cockpit look small to me. Ford is bringing a couple of them to the public safety training center "soon" so I'll get some pics and post them

Charlie

I'll never understand why General Motors gave up producing the Chevy Caprice police special. I don't think there was a single Police department in my part of Pennsylvania that didn't have the entire fleet of Chevy's. I'm not sure about of late, but back in 1999 -2006 New York State Police had a number of black Camaro Z-28's as southern state parkway interceptors ! They were low slung and if you weren't careful you'd never see the blue and red lights mounted on top. :w
Supposedly, there wasn't enough money in fleet sales to continue the Caprice, especially while splitting the market with Ford. Once the Caprice was done, Ford dominated the market. Chev tried to get back in with a FWD but it was never embraced like the Caprice or Crown Vic. Depending on how the new Ford is configured, they might continue to dominate or they could lose out to Chrysler.

-Mac

Chevy Caprice: Neo-classic
<!-- /galTitleNav -->
gm_police_car.jpg

<!-- /imgRelatedsContainer* -->
<!-- DATA FIELDS --><!-- /DATA FIELDS -->Among the three potential new replacements for the Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in 2011, the upcoming Chevrolet Caprice PPV is closest to the classic lay-out. It's a big gasoline-powered V8 rear-wheel-drive sedan.
The Caprice PPV will be available to police departments only, at least in this country. This isn't really an all-new car. The Chevrolet Caprice is built in Australia where it's sold as the Holden Caprice.
The Caprice will be equipped with a 355-horsepower 6.0-liter V8 engine. A V6-powered version will be available for the 2012 model year. GM promises best-in-class acceleration and top speed with a zero-to-60 time of less than six seconds. Click through the gallery to see planned cars from Ford, Chevy and Carbon Motors.

NEXT: Chevy Caprice: Tough inside

<!-- /galText --><!--startclickprintexclude-->
gallery_arrow_left_on.gif

<SCRIPT>writeThumbnail(9);</SCRIPT><!--endclickprintexclude-->Last updated March 18 2010: 3:32 PM ET
<!--startclickprintexclude--><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/money/.element/ssi/javascript/2.0/cnnShare.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/money/javascript/clickability/button2200_1newlayout.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript> window.onerror=function(){clickURL=cleanClickURL(document.location.href);return true;} if(!self.clickURL) clickURL=cleanClickURL(parent.location.href); </SCRIPT>
Well I mispoke, General Motors is back in the game ! Go GM. :beer

<SCRIPT> try { cnnShareLinks.init('Galleries','rss.cnn.com/rss/money_galleries.rss'); // EDIT THIS } catch(e) { }</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/money/.element/ssi/partners/scripts/yahoobuzz.js" ____yb="1"></SCRIPT><!--endclickprintexclude-->
<!-- /toolsAndTime --><!--endclickprintinclude--><!--startclickprintexclude-->

Chevy Caprice: Neo-classic
<!-- /galTitleNav -->
gm_police_car.jpg

<!-- /imgRelatedsContainer* -->Well I mispoke, General Motors is back in the game ! Go GM. :beer

Well, alrighty then!! I know my outfit will want some of these!!

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom