Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2014 Camaro Z/28 the Most Track-capable Camaro Ever

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster
2014-Chevrolet-CamaroZ28-002.jpg

NEW YORK – Chevrolet today introduced the restyled 2014 Camaro line at the New York Auto Show, including the return of the Z/28, the most iconic model in Camaro history.

www.gmmedia.com

Heavy Chevy

300 Lbs lighter than a ZL1... 500 Lbs to go :ugh
Really, exactly where is all the mass in these Camaros - in the body, chassis structure, exhaust, 47 airbags?...

I think it's a good ride with the LSD, ceramic brakes, solid suspension. Good to see the LS7 live on :beer

300 Lbs lighter than a ZL1... 500 Lbs to go :ugh
Really, exactly where is all the mass in these Camaros - in the body, chassis structure, exhaust, 47 airbags?...

I think it's a good ride with the LSD, ceramic brakes, solid suspension. Good to see the LS7 live on :beer

Z/28 is about 160-lbs heavier than a Boss 302

Ok, let's look at the curb weight of some performance coupes from the guys who make "Ultimate Driving Machines"

2012 M3 3704-lbs...about 115-lbs less than a Camaro Z/28 but also quite a bit smaller
2012 M5 4288-lbs...about 500-lbs more than a Z/28 and 160-lbs more than a ZL1

Z/28 is about 160-lbs heavier than a Boss 302

Ok, let's look at the curb weight of some performance coupes from the guys who make "Ultimate Driving Machines"

2012 M3 3704-lbs...about 115-lbs less than a Camaro Z/28 but also quite a bit smaller
2012 M5 4288-lbs...about 500-lbs more than a Z/28 and 160-lbs more than a ZL1

These comparison numbers really put things in perspective.

B17Crew
:w

These comparison numbers really put things in perspective.

B17Crew
:w

I'm not saying the Camaro would not be better if it weighed less but I think it's important, when we beat-up on the car for it's mass, that we look at the state-of-art in the performance sports coupe/sedan segment.

I remember the early rumors about the 5G Camaro was that it was going to come to market on the heavy-side. I think, part of that is the Camaro's lineage from a somewhat larger, four-door sedan built in Australia, the Holden Commodore. If the Camaro were built on a unique platform, as were the previous versions, it would probably get lighter.

Also I neglected to mention the Z/28 comes standard with all the cooling enhancements (engine oil, trans and axle coolers) you'd need in a track car where the BOSS 302 has that stuff as options. My guess is you could add 30-lbs for coolers and fluids.

Can't remember what the Challenger SRT8 weighs but it's a porker also.
The current CTS V coupe weighs in around 4200 pounds.

The new 2014 CTS is supposed to be a couple hundred pounds lighter in the VSport version and 420 HP.

I saw an add here in fl. For a new one 25k off.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom