Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2015 Z06 LT4 Motor

JOV

Corvette
2019 ZR1 Blade Silver Metalic
I was told that unless your 2015 Z06 came with the RPOZ07 package that the LT4 motor came from the Tonowonda Plant and was not assembled at Bowling Green by a personal engine builder. And if so explains why mine has no engine builders name plaque on the right side of the motor. If this is true I feel a little left out not getting the personal attention that my motor deserves. Any comments ??? And thanks in advance...... :ugh

That's the first I've heard of only Z06/Z07s having PBC built engines.

Let me look into that.

Nothing different from the ZR1 which were all built by PBC. Z07 package is supposed to be the race-ready version so would expect them to be built by PBC and not the other Z06's

That's the first I've heard of only Z06/Z07s having PBC built engines.

Let me look into that.

Thanks Hib,
Also I read that the Tonowanda Plant Built LT4's as they come off the assembly Line multiple employees at different work stations do the assembling.

Now the 64 dollar question is; are the LT4 non Z07 engines built to a different standard / spec on our Z06's ?? And what about the motors in the Z51 and the base Stingrays ??

Again Thanks in advance !!

HI there,

LT4, no matter being built at PBC or Tonawanda, will be assembled to the exact same specifications no matter what.

Honestly, there is no difference.

Allthebest, Paul

As Paul said, no difference on the LT4 whether they come from PBC or Tonawanda. Now, the Z51 and standard Stingray are a different engine and they are all built at Tonawanda.

LT4 Build

After seeing all the robotics used to build the engines at the Tonowanda Plant and all the measurements/specs taken and recorded by same equipment, I'd much rather have mine built at Tonowanda. I don't care how careful they are, humans cannot build to the same tight tolerances. 10-15 years ago, I'd want the hand built engine, not today. Also, my Chevy dealer says the "Build Your Own' has not been well received and some customers are not sure they even received the engine they built.

I contacted GM Powertrain about the PBC vs Tonawanda LT4 issue they replied quickly, but then I forgot about this thread and never came back here.

I apologize for not getting back here sooner with the answer.

Tom Read, Communications Dir. for GM Powertrain told me that all LT4s going into Z06s ordered with Z07 have their engines assembled by the Performance Build Center at Bowling Green Assembly. In addition, any Z06, whether it's got Z07 or not, can be ordered with RPO PBC, which is the "Engine Build Experience". If you order PBC, you go to Bowling Green and assemble your LT4 yourself.

Indeed, it's a pricey option, but it's quite an event for serious "Corvette engine junkies".

I ordered PBC back in 2012 on my Z06 and will never forget my Engine Build Experience.

In fact, I wrote an article here on the CAC about it.

After seeing all the robotics used to build the engines at the Tonowanda Plant and all the measurements/specs taken and recorded by same equipment, I'd much rather have mine built at Tonowanda. I don't care how careful they are, humans cannot build to the same tight tolerances. 10-15 years ago, I'd want the hand built engine, not today. Also, my Chevy dealer says the "Build Your Own' has not been well received and some customers are not sure they even received the engine they built.

Don't say that particular bit of blasphemy around the Gold Chain-Red Ferrari set. They'll break out the ropes and torches and you will be hanging from the nearest lamp post before you can say "corvette".

A robotics built race engine will never win a Daytona 500 or any NASCAR race ever. Every one has always been hand built by highly skilled and experienced craftsmen, still is and always will be. A machine cannot duplicate the scrutiny of a trained eye and 30 years of experience closely examining each and every part during the careful assembly process.

A robotics built race engine will never win a Daytona 500 or any NASCAR race ever. Every one has always been hand built by highly skilled and experienced craftsmen, still is and always will be. A machine cannot duplicate the scrutiny of a trained eye and 30 years of experience closely examining each and every part during the careful assembly process.

I couldn't agree more. That's why I say keep mum around the Ferrari guys. Every Ferrari engine is hand built by a single engine tech. Hand built and hand fitted is better than parts open toleranced for robotic assembly.

HI there,

Every engine is hand assembled and all parts are machined tolerance. Air tools that are torque calibrated and recorded are used in both facilities.

Having worked FOR Ferrari, yes its an amazing machine and you PAY for that hand tolerance, hand assembled craftsmanship.

GM can give the customer anything they want, its only that most people don't want to PAY the expense that accompanies hand build automobiles.

Allthebest, Paul

HI there,

Every engine is hand assembled and all parts are machined tolerance. Air tools that are torque calibrated and recorded are used in both facilities.

Having worked FOR Ferrari, yes its an amazing machine and you PAY for that hand tolerance, hand assembled craftsmanship.

GM can give the customer anything they want, its only that most people don't want to PAY the expense that accompanies hand build automobiles.

Allthebest, Paul

Paul, you missed the point, buddy! Several of us were just telling a JOKE.

Attachments

• aFu_MadLionChew.gif
    aFu_MadLionChew.gif
    32.1 KB · Views: 122
After seeing all the robotics used to build the engines at the Tonowanda Plant and all the measurements/specs taken and recorded by same equipment, I'd much rather have mine built at Tonowanda. I don't care how careful they are, humans cannot build to the same tight tolerances. 10-15 years ago, I'd want the hand built engine, not today.

While I agree that the automated engine plants of today capable of holding higher tolerances on a more consistent basis than the high-volume, semi-robotic engine assembly plants of, say 15 or more years ago, to say "....humans cannot build to the same tight tolerances." is grossly inaccurate. That's total B.S.

Also, my Chevy dealer says the "Build Your Own' has not been well received and some customers are not sure they even received the engine they built.

Your dealer is misinformed.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom