Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 21 Jimbo

21jimbo

Corvette
1996 Corvette coupe,collector edition
I'm new to corvette scene. Always into 4WD trucks. Bought 96 collector edition with LT1. Would it benefit me by upgrading throttle body and mas ? Any help recommending anything and pointing me in right direction greatly appreciated. Car is very clean and love driving it.

Welcome to CAC, Jimbo! :w In order to answer your question, we need a bit more information. Like, what are you expecting of the car.... more performance, more mileage? I'm assuming more performance. :D How much performance do you want/need, and how much money do you want to spend? These are all questions that need answers. Some other should be by soon to give their opinions.

On a stock engine there would be no performance advantage whatsoever by upgrading the throttle body. In fact, a larger throttle body may actually decrease performance at lower rpm.

Performance upgrades

Thanks for the reply. Looking for little more ponies for performance. Mainly bolt on upgrades. Don't expect huge hp gains but a little here and there would be nice. I don't really want to do any engine tear downs, trying to keep it simple. Been looking at cold air filter systems and cat back exhaust systems. Being in central Calif. mountains have to be smog legal. Have about a grand to spend on the car at this time. Should be able to get an exhaust sys in next 3 months. This car is all original oem drive train wise. Any help or recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'm new to corvette scene. Always into 4WD trucks. Bought 96 collector edition with LT1. Would it benefit me by upgrading throttle body and mas ? Any help recommending anything and pointing me in right direction greatly appreciated. Car is very clean and love driving it.

Simple answer is no. You might even make it worse if the powertrain is stock. Don't buy any add on's unless it is a matched set that compliment's each component from front to rear (intake to exhaust), and most importantly from a reputable vendor that has been around a long time and has done this upgrade (what ever it is) for decades. Truth be told, most people go backwards.

An aftermarket exhaust, depending on make, may add 5-8-hp.

The best value out there, IMO, is the Flowmaster cat back for late C4s.

As for aftermarket air filter assemblies, there are only a few really work well because the stock air filter assembly was designed to support the LT5 which had 100 more horsepower than your LT1. What I'd do is replace the stock filter with a Green Filter and add one of the open-element tops. That's all I ever did on my '95.

That you have a 96 with an LT1 tells me the car is an automatic.

First, find out what axle ratio is in the car. If you DO NOT see G92, the car has the base 2.59 axle.

If it's the 2.59, your biggest bang-for-the buck performance mod on a car which is stock is to replace the 2.59 axle with the performance axle for automatics, the 3.07.

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely check those rear axle numbers.

One more question. I see these performance programers available for the 96 LT1. It does have the automatic trans. Would these be compatible and work on this particular vehicle ? Or is there a chip that could be reprogrammed ? I apologize if I sound dumb when it comes to this vehicle electronic system stuff. I'm an old school mechanic from 60's and 70's with mechanical sys experience not this newer electronic stuff. Thanks for any recommendations.

IIRC, 96 was the first year for full OBDII (in the Corvette, can't say for other cars), so yes, it can be re-programmed through a tuner.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Every little bit of info helps.

One more question. I see these performance programers available for the 96 LT1. It does have the automatic trans. Would these be compatible and work on this particular vehicle ? Or is there a chip that could be reprogrammed ? I apologize if I sound dumb when it comes to this vehicle electronic system stuff. I'm an old school mechanic from 60's and 70's with mechanical sys experience not this newer electronic stuff. Thanks for any recommendations.

In order to answer the question, give us an idea of what performance programmer you are considering.

Checked rear diff and it does have 307 gears. Received my green filter and open top cover yesterday. Will be ordering the magniflow cat back exhaust today. Two programmers looking at are bullydog and edge. Been looking over performance chips also from engine performance chips. Would a chip be a possibility over a programmer ? Been trying to find any current or old discussion / feedback on the actual use and results on these but not having much luck. Any info or recommendations would be appreciated. Not looking for any radical hp gains just a little more performance gain.

96es do not use a "chip" for calibration. The ECM has an EEPROM inside which is "flashed" (using the proper equipment) with the new cal.

A handheld programmer is not going to make a significant improvement in performance but it might make a measureable difference as long as you have 93-oct fuel to run in the car and you have a 180 thermostat installed

Your greatest gain with that 96 is going to be the exhaust system and, if you were to do an A-B dyno test and the engine is in good condition, you'll see a 5-8-hp improvement.

What some handheld programmers can also do is alter the automatic's shift points, change the rev limit and lower fan-on temps. The first two won't be of much value but the third helps.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom