Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

$25,000 over MSRP

B

BoeingMan

My local Vette dealer has two C6 Z06's. One is a nice black listing at 5,000 over msrp and the other is the white Ron Fellows edition and the dealer is asking 25,000 duckies over MSRP.

You know this is where I draw the line. I will not be taken for a fool dam it. I will not go a penny more than 24,500 over MSRP. This is whack.

>

24.5K OVER MSRP

I'll bet if you offered 24.5K over MSRP the dealer will surely bite. If not, he is nuts.
59-62USNVET

I'll bet if you offered 24.5K over MSRP the dealer will surely bite. If not, he is nuts.
59-62USNVET

Oh he's nuts alright:crazy.Crazy mamer jammer :naughty: just might find the right pigeon ;troll that will surely fork over the perfectly reasonalle asking price. Geeeeez :puke .

>

Courtesy has an RFE at $20K over with the "base" Z at $10K.

I wish they'd share the happy-powder. ;)

Courtesy has an RFE at $20K over with the "base" Z at $10K.

I wish they'd share the happy-powder. ;)
There are alot of people with more money than brains. A few years ago one of the locals had a '90 ZR1 that was orginally purchased for 99K, not by him but someone else. He had the paper work to prove it. Now that was about 35K over MSRP. That was by who we used to call the gold chain bunch. I was at an event in the early 90's when they were still in production and overheard one of them ask how many ZR1's they had because he had 2 of them.

Hmmmmmmm!!!!

Gran Sport
It seems to me a few years back there was a "limited" production Corvette(1,000 made) with a colour scheme that attracted dust on the showroom floor that is now selling routinely way over msrp.
Ron Fellows
So if you were a dealer and had a new limited production car (300 made)that actually was very appealing (colour) you would be a very poor businessman to let it go for MSRP.
Some people call this free enterprise "what the market will bear" It's not like every dealer has 6 RF's sitting in his inventory.

I swung by two different dealerships in the last week. The first was the aforementioned Courtesy Chevrolet and they had no fewer than 15 brand new Zs in stock (and one or two used ones, I think.)

I couldn't afford it and my wife would kill me if I tried, but I'm pretty sure I could talk them into a deal below sticker quite easily.

Sadly they had the exact car I would order (except for the wheels) sitting right there for me to drool over. . .

Then I went to another local Chevy shop (no more than 10 miles from Courtesy.) They had one Z in the showroom with a 15K markup!

I told the salesguy that nobody was buying these over sticker anymore. . . he just scowled. ;)

curious

am i missing something here, is this a special edition zo6 or something ? why in gods name would anybody pay that much over sticker for just a regular z ?when they first came out in 06 i went shopping for one and of course ther wasn't a dealer in the USA that wasn't 5 to 10k over sticker.i mean i was on e-bay bidding and everything, nothing available, not at sticker anyway. finally i got one out of PA. at the right price,(07s) were on there way probably why i got it. gave me a terrific price on my 02zo6 , i'm a happy man ! free enterprize is one thing gouging is another. i bought my first z 01 when they came out from Kerbeck but there was no dealing with them sticker price and that was it, everythings different now, American way I guess;shrug

Gran Sport
It seems to me a few years back there was a "limited" production Corvette(1,000 made) with a colour scheme that attracted dust on the showroom floor that is now selling routinely way over msrp.
Ron Fellows
So if you were a dealer and had a new limited production car (300 made)that actually was very appealing (colour) you would be a very poor businessman to let it go for MSRP.
Some people call this free enterprise "what the market will bear" It's not like every dealer has 6 RF's sitting in his inventory.

The problem about "what the market will bear," and the ever popular"free enterprise" is that people have a long memory, and you will alienate enough potential customers that the long view is stupid. If I perceive that a dealer is trying to screw me, even if it's the "free enterprise" way to do business, will I ever buy anything from that dealer - ever? How many enemies will a dealership make on the way to making an extra 10 or 15 grand on one car?

I bought my very early 2005 C6 below list while everyone else was at or over list. The dealer explained that he had been in business 75 years, and never charged anyone over list for anything - he just couldn't bring himself to do it. Maybe that's why he's been in business 75 years. BTW, all my GM purchases will be from that dealer, and I've referred a half dozen other Vette buyers to him. That's the sunny side of the free enterprise system. Greed is not always good.

Corvette sales we're down 9.8% the last time I checked and not to many dealers are fighting off customers.Both dealers and Gm are hungury.Bet I could come up with a name that would sell a Z06 at close to invoice .Anyone real serious send me a pm :blue:

I agree with what your saying, loyalty should stand for something. The dealer here tried to get me one but the other problem is the allocation.He is only allowed so many cars. I understand GMs stance but certainly don't agree with it, puts you at other dealers mercy. What they do here is .you put down a deposit and your name goes on a list. in 06 he was allowed 2 zs ,one was on the way and I had a shot at the next one ,they wanted 2k over and I said no(little hasty on my part) if I knew what was coming on the price after. he tried to get 5 ov later and couldn't get it, so he called me back, but thats another story......

I don't think the dealers should go over MSRP.
That will hurt corporate sales.

If it is a limited edition, the dealer should buy it himself, store it in the showroom with a "Not for sale sign", and wait. In 5 or 10 years he can then sell it as "used" and get whatever he wants for it.

There is a local Chevy dealer with a 1978 Pace Car. Not for sale. Never been registered. 6 miles on the odometer. All the stickers are still on the glass.

I didn't say i agree!!

I'm not saying I agree with dealers asking over MSRP for a car,but it happens and some people (see Barrett Jackson) will pay "whatever it takes"and getting a good deal is not as important as getting the car NOW !!!:eyerole
Certainly not the way I'd part with my hard earned money !!!!

am i missing something here, is this a special edition zo6 or something ? why in gods name would anybody pay that much over sticker for just a regular z ?when they first came out in 06 i went shopping for one and of course ther wasn't a dealer in the USA that wasn't 5 to 10k over sticker.i mean i was on e-bay bidding and everything, nothing available, not at sticker anyway. finally i got one out of PA. at the right price,(07s) were on there way probably why i got it. gave me a terrific price on my 02zo6 , i'm a happy man ! free enterprize is one thing gouging is another. i bought my first z 01 when they came out from Kerbeck but there was no dealing with them sticker price and that was it, everythings different now, American way I guess;shrug
Yes it is RON FELLOWS EDITION 399 SIGNED COPIES ONLY

isn't that insane ! i was watching the nite they auctioned off the ZR1 Blue Devil,( jay leno) and they got a million for it, i'm jealous i guess

I absolutely disagree. This is symptomatic of what is wrong with American business. It's called corporate greed. It's the same kind of thinking that drives them to pay a CEO ten or twenty million dollars a year when the company is losing money. And wealthy consumers aid and abet such behavior. I have never paid over sticker for a new car and never will. When I was looking for a new Z-06 in early 2007, if a dealer quoted a price over sticker, I told him that he could keep the car, and went to another dealer.

There is a local dealer here in the Tulsa area (Danny Beck Chevrolet) that sums it up pretty well. The owner told me that he has never sold a new car for over sticker price and didn't believe in doing that. He said, "the customer is happy to get the car at first, even though they paid thousands of dollars over sticker for it. But after the demand falls off, the same customer usually begins to resent the fact that you ripped them off. And they will very likely never buy another new vehicle from you. It is a very poor business practice driven by greed."

Gran Sport
Ron Fellows

Sticker shock!

I have a special edition ZO6 coming any day and my dealership is charging me list. The owner of the dealership is a good guy and respects repeat customers and refuses to gouge price like alot of others.

Unfortunately, dealers like that are the rare exception.:confused

I have a special edition ZO6 coming any day and my dealership is charging me list. The owner of the dealership is a good guy and respects repeat customers and refuses to gouge price like alot of others.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom