Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

275's vs 285's

Corvette
Blk/Blk '96 LT4 Coupe
Just curious...
I'm running the ZR1 style 9.5's on 275/40/17's. I'm thinking (on my next tire purchase) to maybe go with 285's all round or at least on the rears for a little wider profile. I'm pretty sure that the 285's will fit the rims but my question really is...are the 285's noticeably wider than the 275's and would I want to switch out all four or just the rears? I'm not too concerned about tire rotation benefits as far as keeping all four the same size. Honestly, I'm kinda wishing I had the 315's on the rears (cuz they look mean) but, since that is not going to happen, I'm trying to accomplish the next best thing. Will the 285's look wider from the rear than the 275's? Should I leave it as is? Should I run 275's on the fronts and 285's on the rears?

What do you think?
Thx,
Jeff :w

89-92 were 275 all around. I'm considering buying two 9.5 wide rims for the front and make mine 275 all around. Is going to be a while, I'm buying a home and that is sucking my cash really baaaaad, inspection after inspection and fees....is no joke but, it will be my home!!

Jeff,

Have you checked out the specs for the tires you are looking at on the Tire Rack website? You can look at the tread width as well as most other specifications for any tire they offer.

The actual tread width of different tires of the same "size" will vary as well.

Jeff

My 96 LT4 Z51 came with 275's on all fours. Great set up. I up sized to 4-285's and loved it for auto-xing but hated it for everyday driving. 285's up front make the turning harder and wander alot as it pulls the car around in the groves/ruts in the road. I,ve recently up graded again to 255's up front and 295's out back for daily driving(really looks mean, the narrower fronts make the backs look even bigger) and still us 285's for auto-xing. just my .02

JEFNLSA said:
Just curious...
I'm running the ZR1 style 9.5's on 275/40/17's. I'm thinking (on my next tire purchase) to maybe go with 285's all round or at least on the rears for a little wider profile. I'm pretty sure that the 285's will fit the rims but my question really is...are the 285's noticeably wider than the 275's and would I want to switch out all four or just the rears? I'm not too concerned about tire rotation benefits as far as keeping all four the same size. Honestly, I'm kinda wishing I had the 315's on the rears (cuz they look mean) but, since that is not going to happen, I'm trying to accomplish the next best thing. Will the 285's look wider from the rear than the 275's? Should I leave it as is? Should I run 275's on the fronts and 285's on the rears?

What do you think?
Thx,

285's Vs. 275's will look a tiny bit better, especially up front, BUT the price usually negates the extra width. Most tire companies make 275's, but 285's seem to be more limited, and much more pricey. I have thought about doing this for many years, but it never did because I could get 275's for so much less $$. I figured I would throw the money at something else....

Lowering the car tends to give a wider 'look' overall... you may consider that instead. I want to lower mine, just haven't gotten to it yet.

The difference is .39" wider than what you have now. It is hardly noticeable. I would go with the wider size if the price is right.

The 285's seem to be between $5-$10 more per tire (Tirerack) so price really isn't an issue. Would I run into any problems putting 275's up front and 285's on the rears. From what I've read here that would appear to be the best way to go. The 275's seem to be fine for the front. How wide of a tire can reasonably go on the rears w/ a 9.5" wheel...295's?

Thx for all the replies already....:)

Vettelt193 said:
Lowering the car tends to give a wider 'look' overall... you may consider that instead. I want to lower mine, just haven't gotten to it yet.

What do you recommend as far as lowering? What's your opinion on the BEST way to get it done for the LEAST money?

there is a $40 kit you can get that has rear bolts and front wedges, you can do it for even cheaper if you can find your own rear bolts.... That kit is good for an inch lower all around, which is plenty low in my opinion :) it also doesn't affect the ride quality

JEFNLSA said:
The 285's seem to be between $5-$10 more per tire (Tirerack) so price really isn't an issue. Would I run into any problems putting 275's up front and 285's on the rears. From what I've read here that would appear to be the best way to go. The 275's seem to be fine for the front. How wide of a tire can reasonably go on the rears w/ a 9.5" wheel...295's?

Thx for all the replies already....:)

i just checked tire rack too... the prices on 285's have come way down... glad to see it, i will probably up-size my next set :)

Vettelt193 said:
there is a $40 kit you can get that has rear bolts and front wedges, you can do it for even cheaper if you can find your own rear bolts.... That kit is good for an inch lower all around, which is plenty low in my opinion :) it also doesn't affect the ride quality

Sounds very doable...where can I find this "kit"? Also, would you go 285's on all four corners? Don't get a big head :L but I value your opinion/s?

BTW...What roughly should I expect to pay (my trusted shop) to install said "kit"? I'm not really equipped to do the work myself.

JEFNLSA said:
Just curious...
Will the 285's look wider from the rear than the 275's? Should I leave it as is? Should I run 275's on the fronts and 285's on the rears?
See http://web.telia.com/~u60113743/corvette_wheels/
Although most of the link does nothing to address the fit of larger tires all the way around, the tire size calculator at the bototm of the link is kind of fun to play around with. Not only does it give a side and rear comparison, it also calculates the effect the change will have on the speedometer...

Have fun.

My CE came stock with P285/40ZR-17 tires on 9.5" rear wheels, so you should be fine in the rear. Not sure about that size (285/40/17) in the front though, mine are smaller than your current tires.

Stock & base susp. mine had 255/45 front and 285/40 rear (on 8.5 & 9.5 rims)

My race setup is 275/40 front and 315/35 rear (on 9.5 and 11.0 rims)

Notice the difference in aspect ratio.

If you run 285/40 all around on 9.5's you may in effect be raising the rear up (slightly) thereby gaining some "rake". It should be pretty minor but you may notice.

This could be compensated for by rear lowering.

The 315's stick out & I added the Grand Sport flairs to cover them.

Remember lowering bolts & wedges will take you OUT of stock autox classes (at least in SCCA Solo2).
attachment.php

JEFNLSA said:
Sounds very doable...where can I find this "kit"? Also, would you go 285's on all four corners? Don't get a big head :L but I value your opinion/s?

BTW...What roughly should I expect to pay (my trusted shop) to install said "kit"? I'm not really equipped to do the work myself.

I see no clearance issues with the 285's up front, so I would go with them on all 4 corners if you want the extra beef.... as stated before though, it isn't much extra width, and may cause drivability issues with wander on the highway... to eaach his own basically:)

The lowering kit can be found at vette brakes and products (I think they support CAC) as well as Mid America and Ecklers. The price is usually the same no matter where you get it.

Installation I am not sure of. The rear should be really cheap, the front though has more issues associated with it... run a search here and you should find a few threads about it, I know a handful of forum members have done it, including 'da hawaiian punch'

siller said:
See http://web.telia.com/~u60113743/corvette_wheels/
Although most of the link does nothing to address the fit of larger tires all the way around, the tire size calculator at the bototm of the link is kind of fun to play around with. Not only does it give a side and rear comparison, it also calculates the effect the change will have on the speedometer...

Have fun.

My CE came stock with P285/40ZR-17 tires on 9.5" rear wheels, so you should be fine in the rear. Not sure about that size (285/40/17) in the front though, mine are smaller than your current tires.

Thx for the link to the site and thx to all for your input.

I ran 285 all around on my 92 for a while. They fit and work fine front and rear. My only mistake was buying EMT's in that size (EMT's don't come in 275 size - or didn't - and I wanted to try them. Not a good idea on a C4 in MHO).

I've actually seen 315 all around on a few C4's but they rub in the front at full steering angle.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom