Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

3 Interior questions

racsluos

Corvette
1987 Gold Coupe
Hello all,

Searched around a good bit but didn't find an answer to these questions. Any help appreciated...

1 - Are the soundproofing door insulators which were standard in later years worthwhile to install on an older C4?

2 - What did the original floor mats in my 1987 look like? Emblem?

3 - Is the center console lid in an 84-87 supposed to be black or interior color? Mine is black but I think it's supposed to be saddle to match my interior.

cheers

Can't answer #2 & #3 but I just installed a set of sound insulators on my 1986. They are cheap and ill fitting. I had to cut mine to get them to fit. Had to cut other holes to run the door wiring. They are not worth the cost in my opinion. It would have been much cheaper to buy the material at a hardware store and make them myself.

Hello all,

Searched around a good bit but didn't find an answer to these questions. Any help appreciated...

1 - Are the soundproofing door insulators which were standard in later years worthwhile to install on an older C4?

2 - What did the original floor mats in my 1987 look like? Emblem?

3 - Is the center console lid in an 84-87 supposed to be black or interior color? Mine is black but I think it's supposed to be saddle to match my interior.

cheers

Can't answer #2 & #3 but I just installed a set of sound insulators on my 1986. They are cheap and ill fitting. I had to cut mine to get them to fit. Had to cut other holes to run the door wiring. They are not worth the cost in my opinion. It would have been much cheaper to buy the material at a hardware store and make them myself.

Awesome, thanks alyle5864...just the kind of feedback from experience I was looking for.

If you have any noise coming in from the doors, you could install the factory stuff or try something like DynaMat glued to the door skin. Check with car audio shops to find a good material that will cut noise.

The factory 87 mats had the same carpet material (typically cut-pile) and a vinyl circle with the C4 logo embossed on it. The vinly was the same color as the mat carpeting.

The console lid was the same color as the interior. Only the plastic parts of the console was black along with the dash pad. The interior of my 87 is saddle and I would up painting the console lid black (it was badly faded) to match the console. It actually made the console look better and it looks like it could have been stock. I just used black vinyl spray paint after cleaning the lid with soap and water and letting it dry.

If you have any noise coming in from the doors, you could install the factory stuff or try something like DynaMat glued to the door skin. Check with car audio shops to find a good material that will cut noise.

The factory 87 mats had the same carpet material (typically cut-pile) and a vinyl circle with the C4 logo embossed on it. The vinly was the same color as the mat carpeting.

The console lid was the same color as the interior. Only the plastic parts of the console was black along with the dash pad. The interior of my 87 is saddle and I would up painting the console lid black (it was badly faded) to match the console. It actually made the console look better and it looks like it could have been stock. I just used black vinyl spray paint after cleaning the lid with soap and water and letting it dry.

Awesome, thank you c4cruiser. My 87 will eventually need to be totally stock to qualify for cheap Collectors insurance, so I want to get the right mats and paint the console lid.

cheers

This is what I did to my doors:
attachment.php

The doors ended up quite solid. When closed it doesn't sound like bucket of nails anymore but gives solid "thump".

I agree the foam insulators needed lots of trimming to fit under door panels.

This is what I did to my doors:

The doors ended up quite solid. When closed it doesn't sound like bucket of nails but gives solid "thump".

I agree the foam insulators needed lots of trimming to fit under door panels.

Looks very nice! Is that an aftermarket/painted inside door handle?
I was looking into the insulator more for reducing volume when driving, as mine sounds solid when closing. Thanks for the info.

It is stock handle I painted myself. Loads of pictures in my interior thread, link in my sig above.

I added lots of sound insulation to my car and it got quieter. Squeaks and rattles are gone and tire noice too.

Ahhh, already drooled over that thread. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom