Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 3 out 4 rims fit

Lee Ratcliff

Corvette
1984 c4
I am stuck. I have a 84 Corvette and for some reason one of the rims that I just purchased from a newer Corvette won't fit. I was able to get 3 rims to fit but for some reason one of the rims is bumping into my exhaust pipe/muffler and the Lugs wont reach the threads to tighten up. One person told me that I could just get spacers and then I read somewhere else that I might need to change the drum and it could possibly caused up to $150. The rims have 285 35r 19 90 y run-flat tires so I was really excited to come home and put put the rims that were new to me on my 84 C4 Corvette but like I stated one of the rims and only one of the rims wont fit. Does anyone know the solution to my dilemma?

Try one of the other wheels in the problem location. If that doesn't fit, your car is the problem and needs to be fixed properly. If it does fit, the first wheel is defective and should be returned.

Spacers are not a good idea. Fix the root cause.

I agree with Mikey. Are these wheels/tires new? Maybe the problem wheel has the wrong backset. Try Mikeys' solution first.

Oh, I see where this is your first post. I want to be the first to welcome you to CAC. :w As, I hope, you've already noticed, there are a lot of good people here ready and willing to offer you suggestions/help.

I guess a comedian in the bunch will keep us laughing!

The "backspace" of your new wheels is much different than your '84 wheels. What year 'vette are your new wheels from? The wheels are measured as "wheel offset" which is a little harder to determine, but this difference causes the same problem. Compare the "backspace" of your original wheels to your new wheels. That's a big difference in wheel and tire dimensions!
DSCN1837.JPG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom