Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

30,000 Mile Service

Corvette
2017 Arctic White Grand Sport
I've got the car at the dealer for the yearly oil change. While in they recommended changing the coolant (which I agreed to as I don't know what the prior owner did), changing the trans fluid and cleaning the fuel injectors.

They assured me that the latter two are manufacturer's recommended services. Of course my manual is at home so I can't check it. Is this true? I've always operated under the assumption that unless you were having issues, fuel injector cleaning was not required.

Thanks.

Bob

Last edited:
You're right, Bob.

Unless you have problems with fuel pressure, misfire or poor fuel economy, you don't need any complex injector cleaning which is either off-car cleaning or on-car where a special treatment system which connects to the engine is used.

That said, occasional use of a pour-in, detergent-based injector cleaner such as Chevron Techron or Red Line Complete Fuel System Cleaner, can help keep injectors' internals sparkling clean.

Unless you use regular grade fuels you shouldn't need your fuel injectors cleaned. I believe premium fuels have some type of cleaning agents in them!
Don't they Hib?

Transmission service is a good debate when calling transmission shops, after 28 years in the repair end of the business I noticed that trans fluid goes thru three phases.
1-it has that new smell
2-it has no smell at all, around 30K
3-it has a burnt smell

I also believe that the no smell is when all the solvents have burned off and that is when the clutches start to wear leading to number 3

I've never really had a good experience with a dealer. I remember taking my Dodge in for its 30,000 mile service and got pushed toward $600 in up sells. I had the manual with me and we quickly took care of that. I generally try to find shops that specialize in a brand of car, I have excellent shops for my Acura and Lexus, and go with them. Haven't been able to find one for my Vette or Mazda.

If I read your question correctly your Corvette is 8 years old. You should change all of the fluids.

Well put John

If you feel that the dealer you go to is not honest, I suggest you try another shop.

Again well put, when you take your vehicle in for the first time they do not have a history on your car and have to start with the assumption that none of the recommended services were performed.

HI there,

Lets discuss a few things.

#1, there are a few ways to determine the need for a fuel injection service or the need to add a bottle of Chevron Techron.

You can read your fuel trim tables, which is actually a quick way to determine the need. GM states +/- 8% is normal control module correction. I disagree as I have seen that level of compensation create issues with drivability. I prefer to see +/- 4% to be on the safe side. These corrections are assuming that you have a clean, uncontaminated 10% ethanol content fuel.

You can also ask that your dealership run an A.F.I.T. or an automated fuel injection test, using the GM special tool.

This is actually a MORE accurate way to determine the need, using complex flow calculations and balance average rates to determine if there is a flow balance issue or something else.

GM recommends Techron as a system maintenance additive every oil change or 5000 miles. Its a sound practice, even if you utilize TOP TIER fuels.

#2, Dexron 6, which is in your Corvette, is usually good for 100k mileage. However, remember, you are not correcting a distressed fluid condition. As every automatic transmission is used, particulates deposit themselves in the oil and thicken it over time. When you flush the system, you are actually removing the fluid and particulates. IT IS NOT THAT THE FLUID IS BREAKING DOWN! THAT would be the reason I would recommend you change your fluid, regardless of time at 50K.

#3, coolant is good for 5 years/100k based on OPTIMUM running conditions and correct electrical system integrity. TIME, regardless of mileage is used as all additives within coolant break down over time.

As for the rest, I would have checked the cabin filter, clean and adjusted the top, lubricated your rear toe links if you are Z51, lubricated all your latches and rear trunk lock cylinder, balanced your tires if they are over 1 year old and checked your wheel alignment.

Those would be my recommendations from a dealership technician. :D

Allthebest, Paul

HI there,

Lets discuss a few things.

#1, there are a few ways to determine the need for a fuel injection service or the need to add a bottle of Chevron Techron.

You can read your fuel trim tables, which is actually a quick way to determine the need. GM states +/- 8% is normal control module correction. I disagree as I have seen that level of compensation create issues with drivability. I prefer to see +/- 4% to be on the safe side. These corrections are assuming that you have a clean, uncontaminated 10% ethanol content fuel.

You can also ask that your dealership run an A.F.I.T. or an automated fuel injection test, using the GM special tool.

This is actually a MORE accurate way to determine the need, using complex flow calculations and balance average rates to determine if there is a flow balance issue or something else.

GM recommends Techron as a system maintenance additive every oil change or 5000 miles. Its a sound practice, even if you utilize TOP TIER fuels.

#2, Dexron 6, which is in your Corvette, is usually good for 100k mileage. However, remember, you are not correcting a distressed fluid condition. As every automatic transmission is used, particulates deposit themselves in the oil and thicken it over time. When you flush the system, you are actually removing the fluid and particulates. IT IS NOT THAT THE FLUID IS BREAKING DOWN! THAT would be the reason I would recommend you change your fluid, regardless of time at 50K.

#3, coolant is good for 5 years/100k based on OPTIMUM running conditions and correct electrical system integrity. TIME, regardless of mileage is used as all additives within coolant break down over time.

As for the rest, I would have checked the cabin filter, clean and adjusted the top, lubricated your rear toe links if you are Z51, lubricated all your latches and rear trunk lock cylinder, balanced your tires if they are over 1 year old and checked your wheel alignment.

Those would be my recommendations from a dealership technician. :D

Allthebest, Paul

Thanks for the info. In your advise you mention about lubrication - "lubricated your rear toe links if you are Z51". I am of an age that when I was buying my first car the suspension required numerous lube points to be done with the oil change today I get confused as it seems that no lubrication of suspension parts are done ? That being said I recently bought my first vette ( 2006 coupe with Z51 pkg ) and would appreciate any information I should know so that I can make sure that I can talk intelligently with the shop I take my car to for servicing

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom