Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

300 or 350 HP 327?

Bo Dillingham

Corvette
1965 crimson pearl (2002 cadillac?)
Hello again, and “Thank you” to Billagroom for answering my last question. This time around, I am trying to figure out whether I have a 300 or a 350 HP 327. My car is a 1965 convertable with a number 194675S101697 on the plate under the glove box. The engine has two numbers; 5101697 and F0915HF. The harmonic balancer flange is 5/8” thick, and the Holley that was on it has 3906631-DA, and LIST-3810 on the airhorn, and R2747B on the top of the casting. It appears to be a 4160 (with the secondary metering block inside the fuel bowl).

With this information, I have gone through the Corvette shop manual and the 1965 supplement over and over again, and cannot find consistent information as to whether this is a 300 or a 350 HP 327. It is too much to explain here, but I can find evidence of both in the two manuals.

I called the local Chevy dealer parts counter and gave him the numbers. He said, “your engine is a 327 from a 1966 Station Wagon with air conditioning and a powerglide transmission, but I can’t tell you the horsepower”. The Vette has a 4-speed.

The numbers look to me like it is the original engine, and the “F0915HF” tells me that it was made on September 15 in Flint, But I do not know the year. According to one of my Corvette parts catalogues, the last two letters would confirm 300 HP if they were “HE” instead of “HF”, and the engine was 1966. I looked at the numbers under a magnifying glass, and it does not appear that the HF could have been an HE. The F is pretty clear. Since it was made late in the year, I could easily believe it is a ’66 engine, but my experience with the parts guy doesn’t give me much confidence.

By the way, the Holley has plugs where the float adjustment screws ought to be.

Can anybody do a better job of helping me that the parts guy did? Thank you for your help and patience.

Also, I am still looking for an answer to the question of replacing a shaft drive tachometer with an electronic one that will fit in the dash cluster. Any ideas?

I'm just guessing here, but I would say tht the block is a 300HP. As far as the holly,and somone corrct me if I am wrong, if it has plugs, it is not the original carb. I don't think they put the plugs in them until the "EPA Cops" came about. But, I am sure that Billagroom will be a whole lot more help when it comes to numbers, etc..............Steve

Welcome, Bo

I think your parts guy has been breathing too much brake parts cleaner. Assuming that your engine is not a restamp you will notice that the sequence number on your engine is the same as your car, 101697. You have the original L75 300 hp engine, matching number , if you will. HE is the code for a 327/250 hp motor. The 300 hp is HF . The 350 hp is either HT, HU, HV or HW depending on your combination of A/C, transistor ignition and 4-speed.

Your carb is a '67 Corvette 327/300 or 350 hp (used on both). You should have a Carter AFB #3721SA for 4-speed. Other clues would be that a 350 hp had an aluminum intake, an air cleaner with open slots on the back and no snorkle and cast aluminum Corvette valve covers.

On the rear bellhousing flange behind the left head is a casting number and castung date. If you want to post them they should confirm what we know so far.

For the tach you might compare the size ot the last C3 tachs to yours It might take some custom fitting but I can't think of anything else that has the size to fit that hole.

Tom

Tom, Where do you get all this information????? Very good job:cool I wish I knew all the number stuff like that, I use, basicaly 2 books one being the Black book(that's where I came up with my guess) but, wow, that was a lot of info.............Good job dude........Steve

numbers

Steve,
Go to your NCRS web site and check out the book store. Buy the '53-'67 and the '68-'82 Corvette Pocket Specification Guides. They are a great source and small enough to carry to shows or when looking at a prospective purchase. They don't have everything but will get you all of the basics. I also have a lot of old parts books from my GM days and many other sources collected over the years. Belive it or not I've never owned a Corvette Black Book or one of those Chevy numbers guides. I've found too many errors in them to trust them myself.

Besides that, I'm just plain brilliant when it comes to old Corvettes which always heips. (Insert swelled head smile here, Rob).

Tom

"Just plain brilliant"

I knew that all ready. I looked at some of them books at the NCRS space at Bloomington, they just had too many to choose from, besides, why do I need to buy all them books, when all I gotta do is ask you here at CACC:L If I have any questions, I know who to ask.............Steve

Not Surprised!!!

And once again, the "guru" of knowledge guides us all. God Bless you Tom, you are truely (in my opinion) the greatest asset to anyone in search of USEFULL information on this site. I still say I wish I lived closer to you, I know where I'd be hanging out...(at least until I wore out the welcome)...BUT..I'm house broken, I take out the garbage, and I do windows!!! (Whada Ya Think Tom, A Temporary Adoption?) :D

Rowdy, If he adopts you, will you tell him I'm your brother. Maybe if he adopts us we can get his ole 59 on the road:cool ............Steve

Now there's a thought.

How much do you guys eat and will you sleep with the dogs?

Tom

Tom, I eat when ever possible, and as far as the sleeping arangement, I have before:D ...........Steve

:L :L :L :gap :L :L :L

I'm not even going to ask about that , Stev

TOM

Just Might Work

Steve, as for the brother bit, I say we can fool Tom, maybe not identical twins, but brothers, yes.

Tom, as far as the eating and sleeping goes, I can go for days with no food, but I do require a large intake of fluids, not always made from hops and barley. As for the sleeping, much like my "brother" Steve, I have never actually slept with the "dogs", but I do recall possibly waking up next to one in my MUCH younger days. (HEE HEE)

So what do you say Tom, when should I start packing?.......or at least let the wife know the vette will be missing?

New adoptee orietation........

will commence upon your arrival. First order of business is that quad axle dump truck load of top dirt that needs to be moved up around the new shop. The bad news is that you will probably need a 2nd load to get the grade where I want it. The good news is that I just bought a new wheelbarrow. Shovels and rakes are furnished. The cats will appreciate the fresh dirt you will be spreading. I will appreciate if you bury what the cats don't. They are too little to pick up the shovels.

Then we will finish the cabinet doors and trim in the new shop, move everything over from the garage, clean the garage, paint the walls, seal the floor and the next day we can play with the Corvettes and Project C10-R.

I'm excited! I can't waite til you guys get here. See you soon.

Tom

OK Tom, I was worried that you would make us work on the Ciera:J .........Steve

oops, I forgot about that , Steve

I only need you to bring along one part for the Ciera. A rust free body.

Tom

We're In Steve!!!

I knew we could pull it off. The only teeny weeny itsy bitsy problem I have is, well to be perfectly honest, I'm alergic to cats darn it. Maybe you can get a "little" head start on things and I'll be along as soon as I can get a couple alergy shots. Boy, I sure hope I don't have any type of reaction from the shots, that would be a darn shame. I'll start looking for the rust free Cierra body in the mean time while you get started with the top soil and the few other little tasks our newly adopted "dad" has in store for us. Ya know, I did see a thing on television where they trained these cats to use and flush a toilet, just like us people do, HMmmmm...... Well, be sure and drop me a line Steve and let me know how things are going and I'll be in touch, it's nice out today so I'm going to start looking for that rust free body:s

327-300 or 350

Bo, I also have a 1965, when all else failed pull the distributor and check the serial number, the Corvette "BLACK" book will list the correct serial no to horse power ratings. Obviously the original distributor must be currently on the engine.

:W:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom