Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

330 hp vortec heads

socor7

Corvette
1976 White with red Int 4 speed
I was wondering if any one has experience with the gm 330 hp engine with vortec heads and fitting it under and orginal hood of a c3 corvette. I am also looking at using a vortec intake as well, if any one knows of a combination with this engine that will fit let me know. I want more hp than 290 but don't want to by the zz4 355 motor.

Thanks

Drew

socor7 said:
I was wondering if any one has experience with the gm 330 hp engine with vortec heads and fitting it under and orginal hood of a c3 corvette. I am also looking at using a vortec intake as well, if any one knows of a combination with this engine that will fit let me know. I want more hp than 290 but don't want to by the zz4 355 motor.

Thanks

Drew

It should fit the ZZ4 is in a lot of C3's so the 330 should also fit

vortec heads

I am worried about the intake height and the stock hood, because of the vortec heads it requires a special intake.

Thanks

Drew

Vortex

When I was shopping for motors, I couldn't use the Vortex head anyway. They don't fit my 6 exhaust-bolt manifolds. Votex heads have 8 bolts, and also allow for EGR and such.

The ZZ4 is great! I don't know if emissons would be an issue for you with a '76. Depends on the state I guess, and what emissions equipment comes on those models.

The ZZ4 has a LOT of torque! (406lbs) and a very flat powerband. Great for overall street driving. ( as opposed to a high rev engine, or turbo )

Sorry, don't know about hood height.

exahust

On the heads I have found they are 6 bold exahust pattern

is this true?

All small-block Corvette heads have six exhaust manifold bolts, except for the '78-'82 462624 350 heads and the '80 14014416 305 heads; they have an extra seventh hole added at the end, but it wasn't used for anything on Corvette applications. :)

I run Vortec heads on an Edelbrock vortec intake with no problems.

what type of intake and carb setup are you using and what kind of air cleaner?

Thanks for the info.

socor7 said:
what type of intake and carb setup are you using and what kind of air cleaner?

Thanks for the info.

I'm using a Edelbrock performer vortec intake, Carter 625 cfm carb with standard 14" air cleaner with 2.5" heigh filter. A dropbase air cleaner can also be used to gain additional clearance.

what I currently have is a eldelbrock performer intake with carter afb carb on traditional cast heads wtih a 1/2 spacer 3 in thick filter and a drop base and i barely have enough room for that, and the vorteck intake carb base sits like 1/2 inch higher then the performer intake I currently have, so if I remove the spacer it will be very close.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom