Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

396-425hp $$$

F

fish763

I found a 1965 396-425HP motor and I have checked all the casting numbers to make sure the motor is a 425HP and it looks to be one. All the parts are there but the carb and the distributor. It has been disassembled and all the parts look to be in good condition. My question is How much can I expect to pay for this motor? I also have the option of them rebuilding it and if so how much should I pay after it has been rebuild. He knows it is a Vette motor and I just don't want to get taken to the cleaners.

If you can help...

Thanks

fish763 said:
He knows it is a Vette motor and I just don't want to get taken to the cleaners.
Personaly I would not pay a penney more just because it is a "Vette" motor (unless the stamp pad numbers are intact and I have the original car it came in.) No real difference in a Vette motor from a Camaro or Chevelle or big Chevy motor. In this case it is a high performance 396, who cares what it came out of.

Just MHO. :)

tom...

396/425

If you realize that if this is an original (IF coded) engine, then you need to know, if you don't already, that there were only 2,157 of them built in 1965! THAT Corvette motor is worth a TON! If you don't need it, someone will! It would be the perfect finishing touch for that '65 big block car that had the original motor trashed years ago!!!
The code on the block should be IF (not the word if, but the stamped IF on the block!)
Hope I'm not too late!!
Joe

I agree that it is worth more if it is a Corvette motor for the reasons stated above. Keep in mind that it could be an Impala motor too. The numbers and codes will tell.

Tom

I would guess its value is less than $400.00 to anybody looking for Chev BB engine. I sure wouldn't pay much more. It is only really valuable to the owner of the car it originally came out of.

if the casting dates are usable to someone with a vette the stamp pad can be made anything anybody wants it to be.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom