Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

4+3 transmission 1986

• Thread starter retiredjumpmaster
  • Start date
R

retiredjumpmaster

Lets see if someone will post to this thread? maybe 3 is the charm. I haveread lots about the transmission in the title. Here is my situation the light will come on when i press the switch but no drop in rpm. The light is off and at 70 mph the rpm was 2700, gears are 3.08. When i am in 3rd gear and braking before i shift i feel the transmission down shift before i manually shift. I think the transmission is working without my knowledge but I know its not right based on all i have read on the forum. Any suggestions i know i should change the filter but where can i buy the relay?

David;shrug

o/d indicator light comes on when the ecm closes the relay...light and trans are fed by a common feed from the relay--if the light comes on, the relay is ok...possible wiring problem between relay and trans, or probs at trans.

my 86 o/d control was lobotomized long ago, but IIRC it would stay in o/d when downshifting 4-3-2, auto off only in first gear.

base cars and z51 have different o/d ratios, z51 has hardened o/d gears, either will be very obvious when o/d goes in/out....sounds like yours is ''out to lunch''

sorry i can't compare mph/rpm as i now have 3.54 rear gearing, would need to engage brain to ''nuclear physics'' level to calculate (current martini fog prevents that, later if no-one else steps up )

4+3 transmission

Thanks for the information. Do I really have an immediate problem with the car what I believe to be in o/d based on rpm? I am planning on changing the filter this weekend but have to find it first.

From what I have read on the forum not going into o/d and not having reverse is a BAD THING?

Thanks
David

Thanks for the information. Do I really have an immediate problem with the car what I believe to be in o/d based on rpm? I am planning on changing the filter this weekend but have to find it first.

From what I have read on the forum not going into o/d and not having reverse is a BAD THING?

Thanks
David

The filter for the overdrive unit is the same as a FORD FMX automatic transmission from a early 70's mustang :crazy You just have to reuse your old pan gasket.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom