Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

4 Front vents?

locobob

Corvette
1991 ZR-1
I've been playing around with some ideas for a custom cold air box for my ZR-1. I have always liked the look of the 4 front nose panel vents on the Aerobody cars. Are these funtional? What do they feed air to? Intercoolers? If they are functional how can they be ducted and still allow for the hood to open? Id like to see some pics of the underside of these vents, can someone point me in the right direction.

4 vents

Bob

If you want it for looks great:cool, but I did alot of testing with my 93 ZR1 and saw no difference at all no matter what kind of mods I made to the air induction (outside of a copeland airduct & K&N). I gave up after removing the entire air assembly forward of the throttle body and seeing no difference in hp/tq on the dyno. I started playing with the air system after I watched a ZO6 pick up 15 rwhp by removing his air box, but I never got much at all. Good Luck.

Cross

locobob,
I have 4 pictures that you can kind of see into the ducts to see what is behind.

bmcdonald@px.com if you would like me to email them to you.

they are just opening that let air in. you can see the air box cover in one, and the radiator behind it.

I dont know how you would seal it up, you might be able to come up with something. I have a 5th picture I could send you of a modded callaway, that has a piece over the radiator to seal in intercooler air. you might be able to copy that for a forced air type of thing. I dont know.

locobob said:
I've been playing around with some ideas for a custom cold air box for my ZR-1. I have always liked the look of the 4 front nose panel vents on the Aerobody cars. Are these funtional? What do they feed air to? Intercoolers?

Here is one pic - the reason it is so dark behind there is, the solid ducting from beneath, runs up there to funnel the air to the intercooler ducts (molded to the underside of the hood)
Hope this helps...
attachment.php

locobob said:
I've been playing around with some ideas for a custom cold air box for my ZR-1.

Here is a shot of what's behind the Supernaturals nostrils :D

Looks functional to me :upthumbs -The louvers behind the nostrils are the airbox lid... Hmm, Maybe I need to get an open lid :Silly
attachment.php

Nostrils

The two center nostrils have a direct shot to the airbox.On my CR-1 Callaway put in an open airbox & a rear airbox seal to the hood.Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like the biggest challenge would be creating a sealed air box that would be low enough to clear the hood when open. My plan is to start with a redesigned air horn and a whole new duct system using two large pipes and a pair of conical filters which will feed from a high pressure air source.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom