Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

4 inches of play in steering

MJBrown777

Corvette
1981 Drk Blue
Has anyone been through some steering problems? Steering boxes are around $400, I was just wondering the best route. And forums like this always have a wealth of information! Thanks in advance. mike

Try this!

MJBrown777 said:
Has anyone been through some steering problems? Steering boxes are around $400, I was just wondering the best route. And forums like this always have a wealth of information! Thanks in advance. mike

Hey MJBrown777
Firstly welcome to CAC.
Secondly I found this series of John Greenwood articles handy for sorting out the suspension and steering.
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/vip.pdf

Goodluck
:beer Grant

MJBrown777 said:

Some 15 years ago my mechanic took the top off of my leaking, 4" of play steering box and stuffed it full of grease. He put the lid back on, tightened the adjustment (to the max, the box was on it's last legs) and sent me on my way. Since then I've replace the coupler.

That was a great cheap fix. The box still works great!

I have no idea if the box on an '81 is similar to the '69.

Good luck.

You really need to get out and get under to find where the 4" of play is coming from. Ther's dozens of possible causes, some of them are possible safety issues.

Get the car up in the air and have it checked.

Thanks guys! Grant that was a great link, got it printed out already. I'll check the grease job too. Knew this would be the place to get some answers!

steering box

MJBrown777 said:
Thanks guys! Grant that was a great link, got it printed out already. I'll check the grease job too. Knew this would be the place to get some answers!

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THAT MUCH PLAY IN THE STEERING WHEEL , STEERED LIKE A MODEL T , I ADJUSTED IT MYSELF VERY EASY , AND ALL IS FINE NOW , GOOD LUCK!

First see if it is in the box and not the rag joint, tie rod ends, control valve, or ilder arm. Adjusting the box by feel is not the way to do the job and a stock box is set up poorly from day one. I blueprint these boxes and they can be built to be very reliable and tight.
Removing the cover to add grease will throw off the lash adjustmen,if there is any left and you'll be guessing by feel where to set it. Adjustment is made off the car with a 0-30 in/lb dial wrench, anythign else and you might as well do it by feel. There is little room for adjustment and if over tighten it may feel good for a while but will be wearing out the VERY expensive gears in the box. If you need some help let me know or stop at my booth in carlisle in a couple of weeks.
Good luck

MJBrown777 said:

I had a similiar problem with my Corvette when I bought it. My mechanic said it was just a couple loose bolts on the rag joint. When you turn the steering wheel, if see can physically see the play near the rag joint, simply tighten up the bolts with the steering wheel centered. Cleared up my 4 inches of play for less then $10. Hopefully thats all you really need. Good luck and definately get it fixed asap.... The new sense of firm steering will be well worth it.

drquazar
Blk on Blk clothseat Batmobile

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom