Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

4-sale or not 4-sale....that is the question

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
I am in a major delima.

Now that I have the FrankenVette running and driving...do I keep it, or sell it? With a baby on the way, and two other Vettes to keep insured and running....I find myself again with a "spare" so to speak. Very much like my 90 was a few months ago.

So, I have two things left to do on the 85. I have a rebuild kit for the rear diff. It is leaking, so I decided to go ahead and put new bearings, seals, etc.....but keep the same gears.

I also have to upgrade to the three wire O2. That will make a major difference in going into closed loop and running smooth--as smooth as possible with the big cam, etc.

So...here is the deal. The two mods above complete and:

1. 383 engine (just rebuilt--bearings, seals, timing chain, etc)
2. accel injectors
3. custom iron center bolt heads with 2.02/1.6 valves
4. Crane 20/50 compucam - flat tappet hydraulic
5. full roller 1.6 chevy self aligning rockers
6. long tube headers
7. rebuilt trans with 2400 B&M converter
8. NEW a/c compressor, drier, lines--and 134 conversion (ice cold)
9. Body converted to look like a 91-96
10. REAL ZR1 rims--with 11" on back, and tires like new
11. lowered
12. ADS strip chip
13. MSD box with adjustable timing...not hooked up right now.

**The engine does make some piston slap/pin noise, and the roller rockers are noisy. The knocking sound goes away when it warms up.**

$5,000 firm. Thas is exactly what I have in it now.

Maybe I will just keep it perpetually for sale while I drive it.

Just thinking out loud.

I will update my website with pics, etc. soon.

If its a BOY keep the Vette.....If its a GIRL......sell........The Lawman Has Spoken......Have a good day.......:D

No, no, no... you've got it ALL wrong.

If it's a girl, keep the Vette. If it's a boy, sell. Think insurance costs when they're old enough to drive. That, and imagine what a great catch a Vette-loving/driving girl will make for some lucky guy.

Then again, you could sell Nikki AND the kid and keep everything, PLUS have more room in the house for tools. HEY! LEGGO! OOOWWW!!! JUST KIDDING!!! (ok, my wife didn't care for that suggestion much).
[RICHR]

rrubel said:

Then again, you could sell Nikki AND the kid and keep everything, PLUS have more room in the house for tools. HEY! LEGGO! OOOWWW!!! JUST KIDDING!!! (ok, my wife didn't care for that suggestion much).
[RICHR]

i was gonna say don't say that too loud or have bonnie looking over your shoulder as you type that one :D

damn chris you have all the problems most men dream of having! i got 3 vettes and i need to sell one. you'd think you'd sell the most expensive and not the least expensive! for 5k i say hold on to it and just play with it at the strip and everyday driving. if you get that hard up for money (which i don't see happening cause you always have projects going on) then sell it. it sounds like another sweet ride :)

OR you can always trade it in on a Mini Van or a Stationwagon ;LOL or better yet pull the motor and trans and put it in the caprice stationwagon so you still got the pull of a vette but with the grocery/diaper getter space :gap :Steer

Chris,

I definitely envy your problems!:L:L:L

What does Nikki think you should do?

In my opinion I would decide if the 85 is worth haning on to. if you can sell it and make a few dollars great. if you can affrod to keep it for a while with hurting other funds. hang on to it.

Mic, GM beat you to it... when the C5 was under development, they needed a chase vehicle with decent space and decent pull so GM engineers put an LT1 into the Caprice wagon (making an Impala SSW, as it were). Plaque on the dash read "Station wagons were meant to haul something. This one hauls a$$".

That's a conversion project I'd *love* to do for the sleeper effect, except that I'd shoot myself before owning a Caprice wagon. Now putting a Subaru WRX STi motor (300 hp/ 300 lb-ft out of 2.5l 4cyl turbo engine) into an Outback... that's something I could deal with. Overseas they have something similar, and we should be getting it for '05 - new Legacy GT with 260 HP from 2.5l turbo. :)
[RICHR]

I know this car has a special place in your family, but if you do consider selling it, I'm definitely interested. We've been looking for a second for my wife. Can't wait to see the pictures, I could only find the pictures of the engine to show her.

Good input guys.

I was tinkering on it last night. Seems the driver's door panel has deteriated over the years. I had to pull it off, and build a fiberglass shell for the back of it, then attach that to the plastic, and slip it back on the door frame. All in all, I ended up with about 8 hours in messign with the panel...but it is fixed, and looks decent and works like new.

Lots of old memories with this car. It looks good sitting next to killer (twin black machines).

I am going to make it ready for Lucky7's81 to drive to Kissimmee with us this weekend. That will be its first real road run in years.

Still on the fence. I ran out of daylight this weekend to get photos of it to post on my site.

Still thinking............

Well....the car performed quite well to Kissimmee and back considering the limited amount of miles on her before we left.

The windshield wipers got hung up for some reason, and it wanted to stall out from time to time at red lights.

Luck7's81 is rebuilding the diff for me right now. I have a complete bearing/seal kit and a new clutch pack coming. Keeping the same gears.

When I slide that back in, I might put new bushings on the rear suspension since I have it all apart.

I still need to slap in a three wire O2, and maybe a new set of injectors.

Other than than, I am pleased with the fact it is back to life, and at least before I skyjacked it to get the diff out...running and driving pumping ice cold a/c.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom